Recent content by MikeMars

1. M

6 speed conversion kit

I had the kit installed at ~130k miles (using the in-place installation, on a non-refurbished gearbox), and I'm currently at 259k miles. So I've driven the kit for ~129k so far. I did have the box refurbished a while ago at 228k miles. It's running really nicely now. It would be most...
  2. M

6 speed conversion kit

Many thanks for that :-) The gearbox is in the workshop this week. When I dropped it off this weekend, I'm pretty sure he mentioned the springs as something that should be changed, but I will drop him a line just to confirm.
  3. M

6 speed conversion kit

Many thanks for the help :-)
  4. M

6 speed conversion kit

Hi, could I ask for a couple of part numbers? The gearbox has done 228k miles total (the kit was fitted at about 110k miles). It's starting to show some signs of wear so I'm think it'd be a good idea to get it reconditioned. The kit was fitted in-situ without removing the gearbox, so the box...
  5. M

6 speed conversion kit

Perhaps if there were differences in positioning of the bolt holes in the original OEM gearbox housing?
  6. M

6 speed conversion kit

Could it be that the final adjustment (using shims) is ever so slightly out? i.e., steps 25 and 29. http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/image/en/optimizing/pdf/ET_6gear_installation_instructions.pdf There's also the shift link adjustment which it might be worth looking at (although it sounds...
  7. M

6 speed conversion kit

Mine is still great thanks :-) Car's now at 165k miles, and I did the upgrade at (I think) about 130k miles. Also still on the original clutch which is impressive given that the car has been remapped & the higher gear will be putting extra torque through it. There are also a few others on...
  8. M

6 speed conversion kit

Sweet. Was that at Stealth Racing or elsewhere (Vince did mention a T4 when I was having my last service done so perhaps that was yours)?
  9. M

new to tdi, expected mpg

Start & go. If you get bad winters in your part of the world, then I would suggest maybe getting a frost-heater installed, so that the engine can be warmed up in advance. >also is at least 40 mpg possible? You have an extremely short commute, not enough for the engine to get warmed up. So...
  10. M

Splash Guards and Mileage

Yeah, they should improve mpg (slightly) by directing the airflow around the wheels.
  11. M

Winterized Diesel and My Fuel Economy

There is less energy in it (look at the BTUs). However, the biggest mpg drop you see in winter is due to the cold ... the engine takes longer to warm up, the fluids are more viscous, the air density is higher. IMHO these are more important factors than the BTU of the fuel.
  12. M

Hypermiling in winter ?

Yes, that's normal. The less fuel you use, the less heat there is to warm up the engine. Try turning down the cabin temperature & fans a bit so that less heat is wasted (I normally run at 18c with the compressor off if the external temp is near zero, or at 'lo' with the compressor off if the...
  13. M

Poor MPG and excess oil consumption

Is there any risk that the problem might be the turbo seals?
  14. M

Is there a problem with my car?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you are cautious- try blocking a small part off first, then build up.
  15. M

2004 BEW - expected fuel economy w short trips

It's very dependent upon the length of the trip. The shorter the trip, the worse the MPG. And this effect is magnified in winter. It is mostly irrelevant whether the engine is a PD or whatever (although the newer CR cars with DPFs will eventually suffer more due to clogging of the DPF).