Recent content by MikeB4

1. M

Overrunning alternator (clutched) pulley on B4 with 1Z?

My '97 Passat TDI (B4 with 1Z) has a standard fixed alternator pulley. I will be replacing the alternator soon with a Bosch remanufactured one that is on the way. Is it possible, and is there advantage to putting on an overrunning alternator pulley on alternator that I'm ordering, even though...
  2. M

B4 Blown Differential?

Hi all, Once again, you smart people on tdiclub called it right. I crawled under the car today, and was showered with a few large steel bearings and a piece of a broken bolt when I removed the belly pan. Sure enough it was just a blown inner CV joint. I've never had one fall apart like this...
  3. M

B4 Blown Differential?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Well, I'll look again at the CV joint and see if I see signs of damage. I would have thought that even if the right-side Hi, Well, I didn't see anything obvious on the CV joint, but I'll look again. I would have thought that even if the CV failed on the right...
  4. M

B4 Blown Differential?

Hi all, It's been a while since I've posted, as I've had years of trouble-free service from my B4 sedan until yesterday. It appears that my differential is shot. I get no power to the wheels, just a horrible gear-skipping clunking sound when I attempt to apply power regardless of gear. The...
  5. Snow tires

Snow tires

B4 Snow Tires for sale
  6. M

FS: Michelin Snow Tires on Rims for B4 Indianapolis, IN $450

I have a complete set of Michelin X Ice snow tires for sale. They are 175/70/R14 and mounted on OEM steel wheels (4x100) for my 1997 Passat TDI (B4). They have low miles on them, only 3 winters. I'm moving to Southern California, so I don't need them any more! They are worn evenly with...
  7. M

Best MK4 light upgrade or replacement for cheap?

Update Well, I decided to start by cleaning up what I have. The crimped on spade connectors in my Depo E-codes were not aging very well, so I re-soldered them. For the ground connection to the body of the light socket frame, I soldered on a ring connector and secured it with one of the...
  8. M

Still FS: B4V 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon, Indianapolis, IN

Sold! Sold to a very good home today. Thank you all for looking. Michael
  9. M

Best MK4 light upgrade or replacement for cheap?

Good headlight options for B4's? Hi, Does anyone have good headlight recommendations for my B4 sedan? I bought the E-codes with the glass lenses a few years ago. My only complaint is that the wimpy spring clip that is supposed to hold the H1 bulb base disk in place is also the ground...
  10. M

Still FS: B4V 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon, Indianapolis, IN

Hi all, I posted this last August and got some email interest, but not enough to close a sale. I am happy to email or talk to list members about it. I thought I'd try here one more time before I advertise to the "outside world:" For Sale: 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon Indianapolis, IN $3700...
  11. M

Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

I just moved to Indiana 2 years ago, and I had to learn this the hard way as well. "Wow, the truckstop Diesel prices are great!" . . . . Until you pull up to the auto Diesel pump and get the nasty surprise. Your explanation of this is the first one that I've heard that actually makes sense...
  12. M

How to troubleshoot low power on an A3/B4 engine

Success! I made significant progress today. I confirmed that I was getting vacuum to the N18, but never through it, even after blipping the throttle. I took it out, sprayed silicon through it, tapped it on the floor a few times, and cleaned the electrical connector with electrical contact...
  13. M

Found a cracked hose OK, I'm getting there, one problem at a time. I was following the EGR troubleshooting steps, and indeed my upper breather hose from the CCV puck to the intake was split around the hose clamp. Unfortunately, I didn't see that one from any of the TDICLUB vendors, so I went...
  14. M

The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

What did I do to the B4 today . . New glow plugs and glow plug wire harness connector bridge into the B4V . . . getting ready for the Polar Vortex! :cool:
  15. M

I put a vacuum on it, and then when I release the vacuum suddenly, I hear it slam shut. So, if it was stuck, I think I got it unstuck now. I'll let you know if the EGR code comes back. I hadn't thought about disabling the EGR -- I wouldn't want to make Al Gore angry.