Recent content by mike837go

1. M

how many miles have you racked up on your TDI?

I took the cash for my 2013 Jetta sedan in 2017 with over 120,000 miles. In September of 2018, I 'rebooted'. Bought a fixed 2014 Jetta SportWagen with 21,000 miles. Both 6-speed manual transmissions. The 2103 would get 43-48 mpg using the car's odometer and the pump's legal-for-trade...
  2. M

Alternator output fluctuating

Antother potential problem with the brushes is that they could be stuck in the holder. Had that happen once. Coolant had gotten into the alternator and mixed with the carbon dust....
  3. M

Readiness Monitors taking forever......

The OBDII Drive Cycle must be completed. Although what a "Drive Cycle" is, varies by manufacturer. Generally, some low-speed driving (city traffic), some moderate speed crusing (country roads) and a good bunch of steady high-speed top gear running (highway).
  4. M

New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Because I am a computer professional who is responsible for making sure $200,000 of other people's money is properly accounted for, I was most upset at the fact that VW (with Bosch's help) got computers to misrepresent operating modes and pretend that the other mode didn't exist. Then a few...
  5. M

Yes, I know.. another pano roof survey..

I just bought (two months ago) a 2041 JSW 21,000 miles with the pano roof. Fell in love with the idea of all that glass! No issues so far with operation or ceiling leaks... However, I had major quatities of clear (rain?) water in the spare tire well. Allegidly that has to do with broken drain...
  6. M

Just wondering how many of us are still happy Mk6 owners?

"Happy Mk6 Owner"? I'd say, I ran the full gammut! The salesman who was involved with the deal for my 2013 Jetta TDI Sedan did hardly any work. The car was a winner. I put 120,000 miles on the car in 44 months without any major repairs. I was very angry at VW over Dieselgate. Took the money and...
  7. M

Jake brake in a TDI?

[Bumping an old thread] I'm on my 2nd TDI and underneath both is a device in the exhaust pipe that looks like it could be an exhaust brake. Any ideas on how the computer closes it? Or, if it is not a brake, what is it....
  8. M

tips for fuel economy

My 2013 Jetta sedan got 43-48 MPG from the time I bought it new until it was bought back. I just bought a post-fix 2014 Jetta SportWagen. All 6 tankfulls so far have been 39.5 MPG. Same routine use. Same basic (poor) driving habits. Both cars are 6-speed manual. I know the JSW is a heavier...
  9. M

Improve Clutch Pedal Feel?

I've operated many manual tranmission cars, trucks and tractors. IMO clutch pedal feel is overrated. The trick is to listen to the engine. As you lift your foot, the engine will 'notice' the load and slow down. At that point, us drivers have to choose how much fuel to add to keep the...
  10. M

Buyback after accident experience.

Just my similar experiance: In November of 2016 I scheduled a buyback turn-in for Feb 27, 2017. I stopped using the car for my 120mile/day commute to avoid reported vs. turn-in milage issues. In January 2017 my 'new' commuter car had mechanical issues so I put the TDI into service for a...
  11. M

New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Hi All, New to this forum. I'm on my second TDi. I bought a 2013 Jetta TDi brand new in June of 2013. I was so angry that VW taught computers how to cover up malfesance and being 'cheated' out of 200,000 miles of minimal maintenance that I opted for the buyout. In February of 2017 I...