Recent content by Michael_Akamatsu

1. Michael_Akamatsu

Replacement Keys and fobs

You may want to try ebay.
  2. Michael_Akamatsu

rear brake advice

I borrowed the brake tool from Auto Zone with a deposit on my credit card which was fully refunded when I returned it. Also, a big can of Brake Clean is a must.
  3. Michael_Akamatsu

VCDS Lite, no controllers responding?

I just purchased a cable off of ebay. I had trouble getting it to work as the instructions to install the driver were a bit complicated. I finally discovered that the device was set for "com4", and the VCDS-Lite" software needed to also be set for "com4." This solved the problem and it is...
  4. Michael_Akamatsu

Need new battery?

I recently bought the Wal-Mart battery for about $80, best battery I've ever had in my 99.5 Jetta.
  5. Michael_Akamatsu

PSA: Great price on 94R batteries

The battery is three years old, but here in really hot Texas, that's about how long they last. Last time I checked Sam's, they didn't have a 94R. I saw one at Walmart for $77 (Everstart Maxx 94R).
  6. Michael_Akamatsu

PSA: Great price on 94R batteries

I seem to notice a big difference in cranking speed when the temp is cold vs. not so cold. I'm thinking that when the glow plugs kick in, the battery power is being sapped, and it cranks slowly. When it is not so cold, the starter cranks much faster. Am I on the right track here?
  7. Michael_Akamatsu

Wider tires for stock rims

There is a sacrifice of wet road handling ability with a wider tire. A narrower tire has more front to back distance of tire contact with the road in order to push the water out of the way. My philosophy is to buy dry road handling with good quality tires, and get the wet road handling via a...
  8. Michael_Akamatsu

headliner sagging. How to fix?

But seriously folks, JB05 makes a good point. The adhesive needs something to adhere to. Loose foam rubber mixed with spray adhesive would be quite the mess. I finally get it.
  9. Michael_Akamatsu

I think the foam from my headliner is coming out of my heater vents.
  10. Michael_Akamatsu

Hard to start when hot issue.....

What is the cost to do the Hamman mod?
  11. Michael_Akamatsu

How do I remove chocolate from the headliner?

www.folexcompany.com Seriously. Try it. It should do the job. Anyone who has any amount of upholstery or carpet should have a bottle on hand.
  12. Michael_Akamatsu

I was thinking about making a small hole in the fabric, and spraying adhesive in between the fabric and backer board. Does this sound reasonable, or have I been huffing too much of that adhesive? I really don't want to spend $100 to fix a problem that I could handle with a few staples. Thanks...
  13. Michael_Akamatsu

99.5 Jetta, no sunroof. The thin cloth is sagging. Is there a recommended fix? Thanks.
  14. Michael_Akamatsu

How do I remove chocolate from the headliner?

Try a product called Folex. It is a carpet and upholstery cleaner. Works great, is non-toxic, and is available at Home Depot. They have a website. Folex.com?
  15. Michael_Akamatsu

Hard to start when hot issue.....

I have shut off my engine at 60 mph, clutch disengaged. Engaged the clutch, and the engine fires up immediately. Also, I have run B99, and have still had the hot start problem.