Recent content by Mawcus

1. M

Intermittent Random Hard Start Problem 2004 Jetta

Check the cable between the alternator and the battery. A bad cable or bad connection can cause a problematic voltage drop. Also check for any loose connections on top of the battery. Had a problem with the little secondary bracket on the positive cable. The nut was tight but the bracket still...
  2. M

I remembered that i had the original cam sensor that i had replaced. Put the original back in and it fixed all starting problems. Before i ordered a brand new sensor I figured i would try the old one. Old one worked fine. I had mistakenly replaced it due to a fault code I was getting for the cam...
  3. M

Replacing PD Camshaft Position Sensor

Check the cable from the alternator to the battery and make sure all your battery connections are tight and dont wiggle. This might help to http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4234028&postcount=1 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=444620...
  4. M

Will plugging in a new Camshaft Position Sensor fix a G40 No Signal Fault Code

Been troubleshooting a G40 Camshaft Position Sensor No Signal fault code. Wondering if just plugging in a brand new sensor as a quick test will make the fault code go away or does the CPS need to be completely installed and in place for the fault code to go away.
  5. M

Testing a BEW Camshaft Position Sensor Tested the cam position sensor harness with multimeter and it checked out according to the testing methods on a thread i found here. Tried to test the cam sensor itself but got no reading at all so i figure its toast. Replaced it less than two years ago...
  6. M

What exactly does the Camshaft Sensor do?

After more research I guess my next question is...is the camshaft position sensor’s exclusive and only function for start ups?
  7. M

Thanks Oilhammer for the suggestion! Very cool pdf. https://www.myarchive.us/richc/VW_TDI_with_PumpeDuse.pdf
  8. M

Ive read a bunch and understand what it does but wanted to know the downside of it not working. I'm sure its the cause of my long starts but after tweaking a few things the long starts have gotten a lot better an damn near normal most of the time. Just wondering if i need to tear into the wiring...
  9. M

Been having a hard start problem I've been trying to figure out. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=484488 Getting a G40 code Camshaft Sensor No Signal. Im thinking its a chaffed/broken wire between the camshaft harness and the ECU but havent traced it out yet. Did some trouble...
  10. M

What to use to fix/splice wiring in camshaft sensor harness going to ECU?

I've got a potential chaffed wire problem Im tracking down causing a G40 camshaft sensor No Signal code. Im wondering what people use to fix chaffed wires. I've read not to solder wires which im terrible with anyway. Are there some sort of crimp connectors. Also read about butt crimps or...
  11. M

Tried to advance timing but torsion still read 0.0 Still have the G40 No Signal Fault so I'm figuring I've got a chaffed wire or something similar going from the harness to the ECU. Cam Position sensor is not that old (replaced in the last year or so) so it should be good. Plan on testing cam...
  12. M

It was listed as a OEM/VW part. Bag that it came in said “origin spain”. It was a little different than the one i replaced. Had a hard time getting it all the way in. Snugging up the one bolt wouldnt pull the whole thing flush where it sits. Had to tap on the back of the sensor “lightly” with a...
  13. M

shouldve been OEM/VW. got it from a reputable vendor
  14. M

Also getting a G40 Camshaft Postion sensor fault code when I scan with VCDS Lite. clear the code and it comes right back. CPS has been replaced recently so I don't get it. Been cruising around town doing stuff and it still has longer than normal starts. its behaving differently than before I...
  15. M

Well ordered a new Crankshaft Sensor and installed it last night. Car started up great several times over and over. 1-2 seconds of cranking max. the glow plug lights were blinking for several seconds until i turned the key for the first time but once i turned the key it fired right up and the...