Recent content by MaverickH1

1. M

'02 TDI - No start or starts and immediately dies.

I figured it would be something like that. Rotated just now. All hope and pray marks don't align. The IP hole looks off by a tooth:
  2. M

Looking at the document posted earlier, it seems to say that the injection pump timing pin hole should be at the 1 o'clock position here. Mine is more like the 7 o'clock position. It's hard to get the angle right to show a true clock face position where 12 o'clock is vertical. So in this...
  3. M

Okay. Finally got it to the shop and finished one project to get it out of the way and make time to start troubleshooting the TDI. I did end up having to take the wheel off and the wheel cover off to be able to get to the crankshaft bolt. I think if the car was up in the air I might be able...
  4. M

I still haven't had a chance to check timing. The car is so short that I can't get to it from underneath. I'm going to winch it up on my trailer and take it to the shop hopefully this weekend. Driving my 12 mpg truck surrre does suck. :D
  5. M

Thank you all so much! I brought everything home today to check the timing, but had to do farm work instead. I did check codes and had a P0725. I double checked the timing belt sticker as well... I think whomever did it put in the wrong information. It says it was changed at 71k and due...
  6. M

My search on how to turn over the engine by hand revealed I have to jack the car up, remove the wheel and wheelwell cover, remove the harmonic balancer, THEN I'd be able to rotate the engine. I haven't had time to do that, yet. I'm likely going to winch the car onto my trailer so I can bring...
  7. M

What should I do to check that the engine is in good health? If I never heard any loud clanking, slapping, or any of that, is it safe to assume that a piston hasn't made contact with anything? Or do I need to remove the valve cover or head too and make sure? I don't want invest $900 in a...
  8. M

It's hard to tell. If the engine is shot from timing issues... yeah it'd probably be headed to the scrap yard. I was going by when to change the timing belt based off of sticker in the engine compartment. It said it needed to be changed by 171,000 miles, now the car is somewhere in the...
  9. M

Details in text below. I will edit in details here as the thread goes: - After running fine for about 2 years, the car all of a sudden won't start. It cranks just fine. Sometimes it will fire up like normal, but then it shuts off 2 seconds later. When it cranks, it seems to be cranking a...
  10. M

I figured a video would be easiest to explain what's going on:
  11. M

01M to 02j swap questions

Just as an update... miraculously... the filter and fluid change seems to have eventually fixed everything in the automatic transmission 1,000 miles later. So hopefully it'll last awhile before I have to make the swap!
  12. M

Perfect. I was expecting the gas parts car to require something like a different computer or other electric items, but I was most worried about simple and non-obvious mechanical ones. It obviously makes sense for VW to gear the transmissions differently due to the different power curves and...
  13. M

It seems like the best way to go about doing a swap to an 02j is to simply purchase a parts car and steal parts off of it. Is the only way to do this to find a manual transmission TDI? Or would a manual transmission gas MK4 Jetta work equally well while ALSO being significantly easier and...
  14. M

Back into the TDI world - 2002 Jetta - Losing prime

The car started easily this morning after sitting for 15 hours. Maybe a half second more of cranking than yesterday after the fix. So there might still be a tiny leak somewhere, but it seems fixed! I also did the calculations on fuel savings at $2.80/gal of gas with my truck vs $3/gal for...
  15. M

Back into the TDI world - 2002 Jetta - Losing prime

That's one of the judgment calls why I decided to try it. The car has been in VA its whole life. Nothing like the rust/corrosion you see 5 hours away in Ohio. But not quite dry like Nevada. Thank you for being so thorough in your responses.