Recent content by Matthew13

1. Matthew13

Does anyone still daily drive an AHU

Lili von Shtupp’s a daily driven 97 Passat with 351K miles. Backup is an 82 Fiat Spider. Drive on!
  2. Matthew13

Front Wheel Bearing Thoughts and Autopsy (long, but with pix!)

I wonder why some cars have the oval holes and some don't. Per her VIN, Lili is a 1997 so not an early model.
  3. Matthew13

Steve - no worries! I'm just glad I wasn't missing something, and now I more fully understand how all this goes together. What I've learned: - Some (many?) B4 control arms have *non-adjustable* connections at the ball joint interface with the control arm (the "3-bolt plate") -- I'll call the...
  4. Matthew13

1996 B4 Front Suspension Finally completed (pictures)

TDIL3Dad - she's a beauty! Love the color and am jealous of the non-peeling clear coat. Quick (weird) question as I'm gathering information...do you have any idea if the Ball Joint attachment points in the control arm are round (like just the size of the bolt and don't have any room to move)...
  5. Matthew13

Eureka! Now we're getting somewhere. I couldn't understand what y'all meant by adjustability, and this is why. P2B (and Steve, and others), now I understand what you're getting at. This is what my control arm looks like. Forgive the 10:00PM, dark, can't get the camera situated right...
  6. IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

control arm hole 2
  7. IMG_4216.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

Control arm hole
  8. Matthew13

Steve - I appreciate your explanation and patience. I swear I'm trying to understand here... I admit that I have limited suspension/alignment experience, but I'm still not getting this. I don't know about other vehicles, but my 3 bolt plate doesn't appear to have any adjustability built in...
  9. Matthew13

So I ended up needing a right front bearing. Did it today, minus a tone ring. No worries. And more importantly, no WUHWUHWUH. I do want to understand the BJ/alignment piece. Usually I remove the 3 bolts (with the funny tri-nut plate) holding the BJ to the arm and swing the whole shebang out...
  10. Matthew13

Failure Confessions (Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Test)

Follow-up report: “Snap-together” bearing in, no issues. Had to cut the old race off the hub with a Dremel, so I took off the tone ring to get to it better. Hub went in, no issues. Took my time. And then I realized I forgot to reinstall the tone ring, so now my ABS light is on. Don’t care...
  11. Matthew13

Agree that the bearing SHOULD work, so I'm gonna use it. I'll report back... Once more, unto the breach!
  12. Matthew13

Not yet. Found it, just too tired and sick of this right now to fix it today. Debating using the "snap back together bearing" which starred in my other thread so I can do it tomorrow/Monday - OR - order new FAG bearing (2-day ship?) and not being able to do it to later in the week due to...
  13. Matthew13

I worked with a guy who thought we should have a "Failure Meeting" every week where you'd tell about what you failed at that week, and *more importantly*, what you learned. This is my confession and what I learned: I've been having the dreaded WUHWUHWUH noise, which progressed to a thumping in...
  14. Matthew13

Ah - destructive improvements - gotcha! ;^). Given the circumstances, I'll look for a good zip tie. I hope it's the outer CV and we can be running again. To free the knuckle, I usually undo the 3 bolts holding the LBJ to the arm. I've seen folks refer to marking the alignment of those bolts...
  15. Matthew13

Steve - thanks for the help. I will definitely look into other potential trouble spots. I have recently replaced both LBJs, but the boot on the left one is split, I think. Simple enough to replace, but shouldn't be making all the racket, should it? I *hope* it's as simple as an axle/CV. I...