Recent content by matt.m

1. M

(SOLD) For Sale: 2003 ALH New Beetle TDI 153K mi, SW Vermont - $2K or best offer (SOLD)

Was a regular visitor/poster on the forums years ago after I bought the car, but haven’t contributed in a long while. I bought the car in April 2007 with 58K miles. Mechanically: 5 speed manual. Timing belt done 2/19/09 @ 83K mi (w/ records), and 12/12/18 @ 145387 mi by Mike McCann, MA (no...
  2. M

Hard starting even when engine is warm

Huge thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to diagnose when I return from FL; I'm fleeing the frozen north for a while. 9F for the high today. Eesh.
  3. M

Last fuel filter replaced 10k ago. It's due for a draining. I don't have clear lines. Fuel *could* be gelling, but when I started the engine this morning for the first time, it started normally. It ran normally when driving. My fuel source adds kerosene usually around November, unless...they...
  4. M

I got my car started this morning (about 2F). It started decently, drove down to the grocery store. The engine got up to operating temps. When I got back in the car to head home, the engine just turned over. It took 15 seconds of putting the accelerator to the floor and it finally started. Now...
  5. M

Engine Mounts?

First observation: A year ago I had my timing belt changed from a trusted mechanic in VT. It all went fine, but I noticed something a little odd after it was done: The engine cover didn't quite fit the same. It was subtle but I noticed it. Second observation: A few thousand miles later I...
  6. M

Odd Noise

My 2003 NB started to make a strange "clunk" noise (and I can feel the clunk under the car) when I accelerate. Here's my best description: It doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen only after the car is decelerated by the engine, not the brake. There's a clunk noise that I can feel...
  7. M

Cooler weather starting issue

Based on your description, I'd say your glow plugs are probably fine. The first thing I'd do would be to hook it up to a vagcom and check the timing. Find the closest person to you who has one (look into purchasing one as they are well worth it for these cars). As was mentioned, if the timing is...
  8. M

TDI vs. Honda (Reliability)

what is it about the germans that know how to build a car that's pure fun to drive? i used to own a BMW 1600 way back in the early 80s. it had the same feel as my NB TDI. just a blast. i've owned hondas and toyotas in the past and i can't say that any of them had any fun factor. they are pure...
  9. M

When to Think about a New Turbo

My 2003 NB TDI, 91K miles, is running fine and its turbo is healthy. But just for my own knowledge, I have a couple of questions: 1. At what point should we pull the turbo and inspect it just as a matter of course? Even if we have no reason to suspect a problem. Is there a consensus on the...
  10. M

Fuel Filter change

the return line is the black line parallel to the clear line. on the NBs they're both black.
  11. M

Topping off the filler neck - Bad idea?

i usually get about another 1.5 gallons after the foam shuts the nozzle off. i always top it to the lower part of the neck, or midway.
  12. M

Fuel Filter change

nice write-up. technically, you can do without clamping the lines to and from the tank as well as the return line from the injectors. i like to use just a golf tee on the remaining line; puts less stress on the rubber. a mighty vac is nice but just filling the filter like you did is the way i do...
  13. M

Why are dealers so uninformed!?!?

Good idea for those shops who may not know your car. But if the parts you provide fail, the mechanic can't guarantee the parts and file a claim. You have to. Just a thought. Looking at the scheduled maintenance, what do we use to lube the sunroof frame? Curious.