Recent content by Matt-98AHU

1. Matt-98AHU

02S 6 speed conversion into 02J case

Clutches are interchangeable for MQ250 family transmissions. The exceptions you have to note are using Mk5 or newer clutch and matching flywheels on earlier (02J or older) transmissions is probably a no-go. But you can use the older clutch and flywheels on the 0A4 and 02S no problem. 0A4 and...
  2. Matt-98AHU

Where does this heat shield go?

That bracket is for the bottom of the heat shield on the passenger side of the exhaust manifold to slot into. It goes onto the two lower studs on the far passenger side of the exhaust manifold. Same nuts that secure the exhaust manifold will also secure this bracket. Then the heatshield goes...
  3. Matt-98AHU

2015 tdi with p0087 engine code

Could be the HPFP. But, without signs of metal, it's also possible it's the metering valve on the pump rather than the entire pump itself. Though, VW does not sell the part separate, there are some vendors that can get it separately from Bosch. You will also want to double check and make sure...
  4. Matt-98AHU

False Neutral 2014 TDI slips into neutral while in Drive

Sounds like it might need a mechatronics unit. The intermittent no comms to the "TCU" code plus the randomly going into neutral while driving sounds an awful lot like a mechatronics unit that is intermittently shutting off due to a bad component or iffy connection somewhere on the mechatronics...
  5. Matt-98AHU

P0101 what next

I'm not familiar with the Touran, we didn't get them here in the U.S.. Also not as familiar with what engines were offered, but I assume probably a PD of some kind. If it is an 8 valve PD, they are known for wearing camshafts and causing a P0101 code. So, if that is what your Touran has, it...
  6. Matt-98AHU

VNT17 vs GT1749VB

GT1749V is just a later revision of the VNT15. Early ALHs would have come with a turbo that actually said "VNT15" on their identification tag. 2001-2003 ALHs will have the GT1749V from the factory. It's still what most of us would consider calling a VNT15. GT1749VB is the actual ARL code...
  7. Matt-98AHU

2002 Golf - I'm back in a TDI!

Might want to hammer mod the injected quantity closer to 3 mg/str with the engine warm, especially before the summer months. Will run the risk of slow down shudder where it's at currently, and the revs will hang a bit more, is also more likely to smoke under WOT conditions.
  8. Matt-98AHU

Quantity adjuster upper limit reached wont go away

Key on engine off, what does measured value block 19 show? When you first turn the key on, the ECU commands the quantity adjuster to do a sweep from min to max positions, and it records the raw position sensor voltage of those two positions in block 19. Attached is what the voltage range...
  9. Matt-98AHU

2005 NB BEW/DSG Just Shut Off While Idling

Out of curiosity, did the DSG recalibration make a noticeable improvement in responsiveness from the transmission for you? Probably still has a delay, all those early ones do, but if it hasn't had those basic settings done in a long time, it certainly can make a very noticeable, positive change.
  10. Matt-98AHU

Torque tò yeild question on large roller bolt

I've seen more than one of the large roller bolts break because they were stretched excessively when using VW's torque spec. Realistically, anything between 35-51 ft-lbs is fine without the plus 90 step. It won't back off, and you won't be overstretched in that range. I think eventually the...
  11. Matt-98AHU

kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

Another successful cluster hack for VSS via CAN using kw1281test. I made a video about it... and I didn't remember the right baud rate, so here's an illustration of how important that is. lol You can almost see what I'm typing. heh. You can select 4k video quality and go full screen, you can...
  12. Matt-98AHU

1.8T 02J on ALH TDI?

That's wild. Cascade German offers rebuilt boxes for $2k... There's generally plenty of used ones for good prices. You can also upgrade to a 6 speed for surprisingly little money. See my thread on the 02S swap. 02S boxes do not have a vehicle speed sensor, but 2002 and newer Mk4s can be hacked...
  13. Matt-98AHU

02S 6 speed conversion into 02J case

Found my answer! Just had to go back and read this early reply. It seems the 2000-2001 cars can indeed pick up VSS via CAN if you install the later cluster, despite also having the older Mk20 ABS module. Sorry 1999.5 guys.. your cars were always a bit of a bastard child 😅 Great to know for...
  14. Matt-98AHU

I've taken apart enough myself to know it's a lot more common than you think it is. Biggest factor is type of driving. Cars that do a lot of stop and go city driving, they wear faster because the vanes are being moved through their full range of motion more frequently and are also likely to...
  15. Matt-98AHU

I walked him through all these checks via email. Vanes moved freely, actuator did need adjusting, but it still didn't fix it. We easily verified the control side was doing what it was supposed to with the vacuum gauge and running basic setting 11. It's actually quite common for high mile VNT...