Recent content by MATPOC

1. MATPOC

AC troubleshooting 2003 JSW

Well, good news it's working now, got the car on the lift, checked coil (3.2 ohm) put 12V across the terminals and it engaged, checked all fuses, connectors, started it up and it works now. Bad news is that I still have no clue what caused it, intermittent fault is hard to trace, fingers crossed...
  2. Air Conditioning - Manual A_C Circuit (Heating and Air Conditioning) - ALLDATA Collision.png

Air Conditioning - Manual A_C Circuit (Heating and Air Conditioning) - ALLDATA Collision.png

2003 Jetts AC diagram
  3. MATPOC

I mean it has pressure, can't say how much freon is in it, but was working fine all last summer, so not overfilled, and it high enough that I should get some compressor cycling, which I got none. So it's either sensors, relay, clutch, wiring or perhaps something else? Compressor is at the...
  4. MATPOC

I'm fairly experienced, had ASE certifications at some point, AC license when R12 was impossible to get, but I have zero experience with newer cars, left the trade in 2001. 2003 Jetta Wagon, AC worked fine last year, pretty sure it was on couple weeks ago but it never really got warm outside...
  5. MATPOC

oil cap for ALH, where can I get one on a Sunday?? (in RI)

O'Reilly FTW, universal $6.99 cap worked, heading north to salvage was left of the weekend
  6. MATPOC

I was crawling under, looking over, stuck a flashlight down, banged on the skid plate, nothing, looks like there is a clear path to freedom from drivers side if it bounced off transmission. It's dark and it probably rolled under a car. Looks like there is same exact one at O'Riely and they also...
  7. MATPOC

Had one of those days, up since 6am, put in full day of work on a Saturday, another few hours taking care of things before I take off, decided to add the oil before I drive 3 hours to Maine but couldn't find any so I ran to Walmart a 9pm, apparently I removed the oil cap and left it under the...
  8. MATPOC

Gimme your high hp recipe for an ALH

They are not stupid, cross-plane R1 has been dominating racing for a while, less peak HP but very manageable power delivery throughout.
  9. MATPOC

Help on P0128 code - Thermostat Fault

You got to be seriously lazy to rig up a vacuum instead of just getting a drain pan... and not gonna work on the coolant anyway, when you pull the t-stat you end up with 2 large openings
  10. MATPOC

You got to drain the coolant regardless, t-stat is pretty low on the block so you will spill a gallon at least trying to swap it, might as well drain it, there is a drain plug on a lower radiator hose, you can reach it from the top
  11. MATPOC

Get a plastic neck too, screws just in case, ID parts has a kit. T-stat swap takes 10 minutes, draining and filling/bleeding coolant takes much longer
  12. MATPOC

My thermostat failed when rubber seal fell off the plunger and got stuck in it sideways. It's recommend to replace t-stat and water pump with every timing belt. Car ran OK, but I had no heat
  13. MATPOC

It may not operate at it's full potential, with gas cars it will run rich and flood, foul plugs, damage O2 sensors, but with diesel none of those are an issue, just bad heat and maybe not full power
  14. MATPOC

You could have bad switch or wiring, plug in OBD2 and check what temp it's reading, it's aa different sensor from the one that goes to your dash. One way to test t-stat is to let car idle till fans come on, with TDI might take a while, note the temp, then go for a ride, if temperature drops...
  15. MATPOC

Dismal MPG

New head 50k ago, replaced because someone broke off the glow plugs. New Belt, water pump, cam timing dead on, injection timing slightly advanced, but I have not logged it under acceleration. no compression check, but smooth idle, injectors balance looks good. Tires at 35psi, all running gear in...