Recent content by marktwain

1. M

Re: Need 2 mirrors for 2003 Jetta TDI. Parts #?

Jetta is black. We'll see if these 3rd party replacements hold up. Thanks for posting.
  2. M

I needed full assemblies. Heated. Power. Ended up getting 3rd party replacements.
  3. M

Re: Need 2 mirrors for 2003 Jetta TDI. Parts #? Trying to procure two mirrors for my Jetta TDI. Not impressed with third party replacements. Any way to grab the parts # for these? Anyone install these themselves?
  4. M

Re: Quick start for TDI on empty

Re: Quick start for TDI on empty Son borrowed the car, returning it nearly empty. Wife didn't notice the gas gauge was on empty and took it out for a short errand. Managed to get back to the house, but later tried starting it and no cigar/no surprise. I've read various threads here on the...
  5. M

Alarm shut down car completely!

My son set the alarm off on our 2003 Jetta TDI tonight and when my wife came out to turn the alarm off, the entire car's electrical system shut down. I'm hoping this is an anti-theft feature that has to be reset? Can anyone help me with this? I read somewhere that there is something called an...
  6. M

Re: Ran out of diesel. Have questions

Re: Ran out of diesel. Have questions Have a 2003 Jetta TDI (new engine) that ran out of fuel yesterday (my wife finally got caught running with fuel gauge on "empty"). We had the car towed back home and I would love to avoid paying our local VW dealership $300 to prime the fuel lines. First...
  7. M

HP for 2003 Jetta TDI?

Wow! Thanks for this basic information! Very much appreciated!
  8. M

HP for 2003 Jetta TDI?

Yes, I'm mystified as to how to get this information, aside from calling the dealership, which is closed today? Pretty sure I have a 1.9L engine and from what I've found so far, my options are 99, 129, and 148 hp? I'm guessing 99? And then I can find out how much oil I need to put in for an oil...
  9. M

Intermittent Sticking in 3rd Gear

Have an automatic 2002 Jetta TDI that has gotten temporarily stuck in 3rd gear before eventually shifting into 4th. Don't have a Vag-Com, but engine light is on (though it, too, comes on and goes off periodically). Has happened twice now while on the freeway. Odd thing is that it eventually...
  10. M

Bora Parts

Re: Aaron and Bora Parts Have to add my name to the large number of happy customers on this thread.The fumoto valve on our 2003 VW Jetta TDI got tripped despite the skid plate, and all the oil drained out of the engine destroying it beyond repair. Thanks to those here, I was encouraged to call...
  11. M

Re: Engine Stopped Running: no oil!?

Thought it might be instructive to follow up on this story. Ended up getting a new long block and turbo from Aaron at Bora Parts in Portland. Had it shipped up to Zahn Tech in Redmond, WA. Car also ended up needing a new starter motor and cooling fan. Here's Mathew's diagnosis once he got into...
  12. M

It's interesting that you can find a number of stories of people on the internet (Google Fumoto valve failure) who have had catastrophic or near-catastrophic experiences with this valve's lever getting inadvertently tripped. Here's just one guy's experience: "I had a bad experience with my...
  13. M

Just got off the phone with Aaron in Portland (of boraparts.com). He assured me that the engine is toast; no need to hand crank it. Gave me my options: new long block $3500, and turbo $800 = $4300. Or used long block for $2500. Also gave me the name of someone up here, ZahnTech, who could put it...
  14. M

Thanks for that Chris!
  15. M

No tonk. No sound no tick. But the lights on the instrument panel come on.