Recent content by markd89

1. M

Mid-engine Vanagon

Someone did this with a brown bay window. Looked interesting... I think there's a thread here somewhere.
  2. M

1Z/AHU into 78 Bus

Hi Andy, Thanks for posting and great to hear from you. I'm glad you're health is improving now. That comes before all :-) Also sorry to hear about the trans. I feel your pain! The swap is doing well. I just got back from a 1500 mile trip from CA to AZ and back with no breakdowns. There's...
  3. M

AHU Starting issue (Starter or ?)

Hi, I have a 97 Passat TDI setup in my engine swapped bus. This setup is well sorted and has about 70,000 miles on it. For the sake of simplifying the issue think of me having a stock 97 Passat, as all of the relevant components for starting are the same. Symptom: Sometimes I will turn the...
  4. M

CCV by-pass...photos how you did it?

Did you find a setup which worked? What did you use for the hose? The picture from your last post is broken. Thanks!
  5. M

2001 ALH into 2001 Ford Ranger Edge

Hi David, I came back to this thread to find some details on the sandwich adapter for the external oil cooler setup. I think I want to add that to my 1Z. I looked and maybe I'm missing where you posted the details. Can you point me or post again? Much thanks! Mark P.S. I have about 70K miles...
  6. M

WTB: ALH or 1Z/AHU Starter (Manual Trans)

Hahaha, you may be right. I was thinking I was doing OK for 5 years on one. I figure with the rebuilt, probably I'd get a good one but I'm not going to know until I'm stranded somewhere and have to put it in. A good used one is cheaper and known to be working. It's good to know BEW works as...
  7. M

WTB: ALH or 1Z/AHU Starter (Manual Trans)

Bumping my thread. 5 years later another starter went out and so I put in my spare. I'm now looking for another (known to be working) to be my new spare. Thanks!
  8. M

2000 Jetta TDI (90K) drivetrain partout

Looking for a good starter,
  9. M

BHW into a 1977 VW Bus

This is easy: No. You can't hire someone for $3K to make your bus diesel.
  10. M

WTB: 1Z/AHU Throttle Position Sensor

My TPS potentiometer died and I had to swap in my spare.. so now looking for a new spare. Thanks! Mark
  11. M

Options after my 1z dropped a rod in Toyota

I have heard of other running the ALH with the 1Z electronics
  12. M

ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

Good to hear all is well. FWIW - I've always been concerned about the TPS being a single point of failure. Mine is mounted underneath where it could see some water. I haven't had any misfortunes, fortunately, but I do carry a spare just in case.
  13. M

ALH 1.9L TDI swap to Porsche 914

TDI trans will be easier, cost less and be geared right.
  14. M

Suzuki Sidekick swap drivability problems...

I don't have an idea of what the problem is, sorry. But I do think it's probably not throttle sensitivity. Malone has done zillion tunes and yours shouldn't need something special. Somewhere in Vagcom must be a way for you to see throttle % which is what the computer is seeing. That might help.
  15. M

1Z/AHU into 78 Bus

Quick updates: We just did the timing belt. The TDC marking on the Kennedy plate and flywheel had been a question mark. I can confirm that it is there and works fine. The observation port is about 1/2" diameter. When at TDC, there will be two drilled holes that are visible through the port. I...