Recent content by mark smith

1. mark smith

Jetta Truck

jetta truck tdi or otherwise The truck is a fun one around here. The truck really is to keep the cost and time to a minimum for the home builder. we took apart and digitised the jetta four door because all the other models of tdi looked to scarce to us. This isnt really that hard to engineer...
  2. mark smith

Elise TDI

Great build Absolutely love the build. Mark
  3. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

canada They can be really tough at the border...15 years of homework on this end though...nothing is for sure...but I will do all I can to make sure my customers inthe north are served well:) mark smith
  4. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

transport canada My other company factory five racing has been selling to canada for over a decade. this car...since it ius not a vehicle and is added to anexisting jetta/golf will be able to go to canada without much issue. mark
  5. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

update for you guys not on facebook or following the build on ffcars.com i figured it was time for a quick update. I continue to work on the body fairing in preparation for casting the first mold. Looks like the mold will be done around the end of july and i will be making car number 1 in...
  6. mark smith

Detroit 2009: Volkswagen Bluesport concept, turbodiesel done right

takes about a year:) I know you are talking about the bluesport TornadoRed but I figured I would follow manual tranny with a bit of mid engine news from the kit car front...The first post over on ffcars.com which is a factory fiver racing enthusiast forum was a year ago this month. I will be...
  7. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

last design changes Have not posted for a while but figured I would update on the last of the design changes on the kit before I go to the final bodywork and mold making. Went with the removable hard top design, celica aftermarket headlights, realtively simple but short rear overhang with...
  8. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

hard top And by fastback I still mean to use the top from the pics....just removable with an integral cage. mark
  9. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

Weight Weight of the car still looks to be right at 2200lbs fully dressed. As somebody said on facebook...ditch the ac and all the fluffy stuff and you may get under 2000lbs if you really wanted too. Went with a full spyder with a fastback hardtop for the prototype so that i can test the...
  10. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

front suspension The first car will have a 1" drop to the stock front suspension...we are keeping the struts but replacing them with coil over units. The track is mved out about an inch so a bit more scrub but not too bad. For the race crowd I am making a ball joint/tie rod end extension to...
  11. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

status Finalized the rear subframe drawing and welding it up so that the rear body shaping can begin. mark
  12. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

update Been a while since I was on this thread...project moving along with plenty of pics on twitter. Body going well and the rear subframe is happening this week. Will try to post a bit more...vwvortex and ffcobra tend to be the most active so I am there the most....but now that i got a new...
  13. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

cutting the car Made the "big cut" yesterday and posted a few pics on twitter. Wasn't too bad a job..took about an hour and a half. Regarding the year of manufacture...I am going to great lengths in this project to use the jetta main section and rails all the way to the front of the car. My...
  14. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

dash support It did that on the first car too...knew it was coming:) a ton easier making new vent pieces than reconfiguring the steering/brakes/pedals/ac/..... taking time drawing clear cut lines since..you know..you just dont cut up a car every day... keeping the crossmember is the...
  15. mark smith

vw tdi kit car

dash after lowering the dash the vents dont line up any more...no biggie...just have to make a few pieces to try to use the molded in vent network under the dash...for those of you that have seen it..very cool. airbags in the seats..yikes...static electricity warning....i just dont like little...