Recent content by Mark Hubley

1. Mark Hubley

CARB is starting to test fixes

Maybe somebody understands that taking a few hundred thousand cars (with plenty of useful miles ahead of them) off the road and sending them to crushers isn't exactly great for the environment.
  2. Mark Hubley

TDI Replacement : (

Here's a short video with an appearance from the Golf R. Move forward to about the 4:30 mark if you like. The Golf driver and I get held up by a guy in a Lexus who was both slow around the track and slow to give passes (should have been in a lower run group). Unfortunately, my Harry's Lap...
  3. Mark Hubley

TDI Replacement : (

Spent the day Wednesday driving my 2000 Carrera at Blackhawk Farms. My first time at that track. There was a guy in my group driving a Golf R. I'm no expert on Golf R's, and I didn't talk to the driver a whole lot. As far as I can tell from the tail-lights and the wheels, it looked like a...
  4. Mark Hubley

Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

Lower mileage cars have a positive mileage adjustment. Higher mileage cars have a negative mileage adjustment. Seems pretty straightforward to me. My 2015 currently has 26K miles, which is fairly high for a car driven for 15 months. When I do my calculation I have a slight negative mileage...
  5. Mark Hubley

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

In regards to cars like mine with EA288 motors . . . It is my understanding that these cars are on the bad car list because they have the cheat software. Is that correct? Is anyone aware of any data that show cars with the EA288 motors are not EPA/CARB compliant in terms of actual emissions...
  6. Mark Hubley

80,000 miles service - DIY, Dealer or Mechanic

I've got a 2015, and I'm not sure how that differs from your 2012. For one thing, I think your oil filter is in a different location from mine. Also, I'm not sure what is called for in an 80K miles service routine. Anyway, check out the link in my signature. This shows you the basics for the...
  7. Mark Hubley

Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

1916 Joe: I am considering getting one of those motorcar things. Bill: I don't understand why anyone would want one of those things. There are hardly any decent roads around here, and the nearest place to buy gasoline is 150 miles away. Those motorcars will never replace horses. 2016 Joe...
  8. Mark Hubley

What do you want to do with your 2009-2015 TDI (Poll)?

I selected option 3. However, I am kind of hoping for another option: Let VW fix it + some compensation money This depends on the conditions. A minimally intrusive fix and $5,000 would make me quite happy. An intrusive fix that results in serious loss of performance and/or mileage paired...
  9. Mark Hubley

IIRC, the 1983 Nissan Sentra I drove during my college days had a 1.6 liter four with all of 69 HP.
  10. Mark Hubley

Torque, Engine Speed, Gears, and Acceleration

Since I don't have to go into work today, I'll add another element to this discussion: Where to shift for best acceleration. There are plenty of discussions of this topic online, and I make no claims to being the leading expert on the topic, but I'll add my $0.02 anyway. I'll make reference to...
  11. Mark Hubley

Torque, Engine Speed, Gears, and Acceleration

In response to a question about torque on the Dieselgate thread (AKA "Threadzilla"), I submitted the following post. My post was definitely off-topic (along with many other posts on Threadzilla--goats anyone?), so I'll repost it here. I'll be happy to continue the discussion. Quote...
  12. Mark Hubley

Oh, by the way, back to Redgrom . . . One advantage of the low end torque in the TDI is that you can be puttering around in traffic at 2K RPM, step on the right pedal, and move! This is nice in many circumstances. Or on a two lane road in 5th at 2K RPM you can accelerate to pass someone...
  13. Mark Hubley

You're welcome. Here's an article that people interested in torque/HP might like: http://www.onpointdyno.com/?p=3306
  14. Mark Hubley

I like this topic, and although I'm supposedly on leave today, I'm sitting in my office waiting on a meeting. So, here goes. I'm sure I will over-simplify some things here and there. I'm also sure someone will correct any mistakes (and someone will likely correct things that are, in fact...