Recent content by majicbeetle

1. majicbeetle

Matt Phelan/Matt-98AHU now wrenching in San Anselmo

GREAT News! I for one will be happy to give you my business!
  2. majicbeetle

Oil leak? Wet transmission mount...

Hi All, Did the oil change on the wife's 04 NB and had a wet dogbone mount, a little oil on the engine cover, but nothing big. I didn't notice it last oil change. I haven't noticed anything on the dipstick so it can't be leaking that much. Any ideas where to look, or is this something...
  3. majicbeetle

Engine Fire! Serp belt?

Well, the adjuster is at a conference till Monday, so I'll see if I can get more money then. I'm guessing I can't buy it back once I take the offer? not sure? But I don't have a place to keep it anyway, if I did, I would luv to tackle it every weekend. I do all the PM stuff myself, just put in...
  4. majicbeetle

Engine Fire! Serp belt?

@turbo, I wish I had your optimism, I'm worried it could become a money pit. I do have a strong feeling that the block is fine, which makes me think it might be worth it to buy it back. Say the salvage is 2k that only leaves me with 6k for repairs, I'm not all that worried about cosmetic...
  5. majicbeetle

Engine Fire! Serp belt?

They offered $8800 for the settlement, I'll have to call tomorrow and ask for the salvage cost. The mechanics were worried that if we throw all that money in parts, only to find a problem with the engine. I am worried about electrical gremlins in the future as well. Not in any position to take...
  6. majicbeetle

Engine Fire! Serp belt?

Insurance totaled the car. Wish I had a place to store it and see if I can get it back on the road, but can only imagine the problems that might give us. The new longblock is probably good, it only has 20k on it. Such is life! The alternator clutch is completely broken off? I guess it did seize...
  7. majicbeetle

Engine Fire! Serp belt?

Wow, this Friday the 13th will take a couple of years off my life! Get a call from the wife, engine is smoking, no power steering, 'battery' light is on!, I'm pulling off the freeway. So, she pulls in to a 76 station and lifts the hood, it's on fire, passenger side is pouring black smoke and...
  8. majicbeetle

Social GTG

If I'm not in Mammoth, I'm there! What a good idea.
  9. majicbeetle

NorCal?SF/Bay Area GTG November 22

Date: November 22nd, 2008 Location: San Pablo, CA / Thomas Sport Tuning From: 9:00am to sundown TST will be offering CASH ONLY specials on: Clutch replacements/Install - $350 Suspension/Alignment - $300 Brake Jobs - $120 for rotors and pads There will also be a DYI GTG for those...
  10. majicbeetle

Another timing belt mishap!

Thanks for the reply wd, I have a gallon of rotella blue bottle just waiting, will that suffice for break in? It sure seems quite I thought if anything there would be more clatter with a new engine.
  11. majicbeetle

New Longblock installed and all seems well! I am not sure about the oil? They put Mobil one syn 10w30, i've read that VW uses a special break in oil with new engines and am not sure what that is? The engine came from a VW dealer, should I drain it and get something else in the engine? I'll make...
  12. majicbeetle

The insurance rep said the "engine had 100k and was high mileage, I should be happy that it's only $600". Does the fact that it's diesel, and should go 400k have anything to do with it, that's like 25k on a gasser. I have done all the maintenence on schedule, myself and that lil' car ment a lot...
  13. majicbeetle

Well the insurance rep for the shop called, and they could not find an equivalent engine and will have to put in new. The "betterment" charge for me will be $600, I guess thats not to bad for a new engine. This really is a true PITA, and I hope it is close to a conclusion. Should I be worried...
  14. majicbeetle

BTW, when the initial bolt broke on the idler, I think the damage was done, the shop should have never given me the car back, and now they are learning the hardway. Its sad that I haven't driven the car more than 50 miles since this all started.
  15. majicbeetle

The shop is taking full responsibility, I sent him links to boraparts, they have a new engine, listed on the site. With 100k on the toasted engine, I assume that if it is used, it should have similar mileage? It sounds like the valve did drop into the cylinder. I agree with Lefty, I dropped the...