Recent content by lundgrji

1. L

13 cents (US) per mile

Tonight, a new owner drives off with my 98 NB TDI. Bought new in May 98, and now to be sold on October 27, 99. We racked up 55,000 wonderful, economical, reliable, fun, fast miles. My wife and I are both sad to let it go, but, it filled a need at the time, and needs change. I'm feeling a...
  2. L

$400 for a new timing belt!

Back in June of this year I made an appointment at a VW dealer to have the timing belt replaced in my 98 NB TDI. I've replaced timing belts in gasoline engines, but, the TDI, with its close piston to valve clearances will munch the valves if the belt is off just one cog, or so the service...
  3. L

Speedometer - reading fast?

My 98 NB TDI speedo reads 2% fast and the odo reads 2.4% slow.
  4. L

K+N air filter vs. Stock pressure drops

The following tests were performed on my 98 TDI NB, 51,800 miles, stock chip, ect..., 70 deg F, humid (90-100%), 1000 ft elevation. Using a Dwyer Magnehelic 60" water vac/pres gauge I measured the pressure inside the air box, (clean side of filter) between the air filter and turbo. I used the...
  5. L

Personalized TDI License Plates

Black 98 NB, plate says BUG OIL, which means it's an oil burning Bug.
  6. L

Early morning engine bucking or lurching solved!

My 98 NB TDI bucks or surges for the first block while lightly accelerating in first gear up a slight grade out of my neighborhood. It happens at any ambient temp. after an overnight cold soak. It goes away after shifting into second. Perhaps this condition only occurs under certain conditions...
  7. L

POWER, TORQUE, FUEL CONSUMPTION

Skypup, thank you for the info. The BSFC numbers you found are at WOT, or full power, right? It sound like a 6th gear to put the engine back to 2000 rpm at 70mph would be beneficial. Have you ever stumbled across BSFC numbers for part load conditions. For instance, suppose a road condition...
  8. L

MPG/RPM

Multiply kilometers by 0.6214 to get miles. Multiply liters by .2642 to get gallons (U.S.). Or, as stated, there are 3.785 liters per gallon. Tazz, you achieved a very respectable 55.5 mpg with a fully loaded vehicle. My best MPG was 60.6 mpg driving 55-60 mph, with A/C on 80% of the...
  9. L

Drag Coeff.

And you average about 44mpg? on your commute? That's awesome for that hard driving (up the mountain anyway) and WETT chip. You probably average better economy with the mountain than without. This is illegal, dangerous, and not recommended, but I used to regularly coast in neutral down long...
  10. L

Q-FLOW K&N

Yes, MAFs are delicate. Pedro, you have me concerned now, but, as I think about it maybe it's possible to have too much oil on a K+N type filter. The MAF on my old Volvo 240 is still original at 220K miles and I've had a K+N filter on it for the last 50K miles. I cleaned it the first time...
  11. L

Has anyone checked the stock power output?

Thanks for the technical background, Jonathon. The chassis dynos I've used were old Clayton brands with the power absorbtion unit essentially being a water pump. Horsepower was measured at a steady speed. Your info. states the vehicle must be accelerating for the dyno to calculate hp. I'm...
  12. L

NB SUSPENSION

I agree. When I was shopping for wheels and tires there was very little info on weights. The performance increase from reduced unsprung mass (wheels/tires) helps by reducing the weight of the vehicle, in addition to less rotational inertia for increased acceleration. Better handling, too.
  13. L

Worst MPG records for TDI

I suppose I can start: 44 mpg, 98 NB, 5 sp. 80-115 mph, staying mostly at 85-90. No significant wind, some grades. Place: Montanna, I-90, last summer when the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent". 6k on engine. First time I noticed soot on rear bumper was after this drive.
  14. L

Worst MPG records for TDI

I'm curious about the worst fuel economy achieved by TDI powered vehicles. Vehicle, trans, loaded weight, towing, weather and road conditions, miles on engine and speed would all give interesting background.
  15. L

NB SUSPENSION

I believe the NB tire size of 205/55-16 has a diameter closer to 24.9".