Recent content by LRTDI

1. L

New to VW's, and very new to Diesels Is this a good/safe buy?

There is no way you get the same MPG when producing twice the power. I guarantee its been beat on. As a first time Diesel owner, I encourage you to stay away. The chances of finding anyone with ability to interpret and fix the prior owner customization is limited. Higher than normal chances to...
  2. L

VW van record around Nurgburgring

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/transporter/104606/volkswagen-transporter-sets-unofficial-n-rburgring-lap-record-for-a A Volkswagen Transporter has set an unofficial van lap record around the Nürburgring Nordschleife with a sub 10-minute lap time. The time of 9 minutes 58 seconds may...
  3. L

VW Still Believes In Diesels; Unveils New 2.0 TDI Mild Hybrid

Wow. I had no idea Chevy Cruze had a stick shift.
  4. L

2019 Transit Connect Wagon announced, 1.5 diesel for US market

As a bare bones minivan its proving more and more popular. At least it has some style to it unlike the first generation
  5. L

VW Still Believes In Diesels; Unveils New 2.0 TDI Mild Hybrid

Aircraft starter motors are also alternators generating power. Ram is using a similar system for their new 2019 1500 Hybrids. The technology is coming.
  6. L

Bmw 520d

I'd never quite gotten the BMW vibe before. Now I do. Even without AWD. I'd be happy to drive this thing any day. Can't even get 5 series wagons here any more. Heck, cant even get Passat wagons either.
  7. L

Bmw 520d

I just got back from the UK, where I was able to rent a BMW 520D Station Wagon for a few days. Thats a 2.0 Turbo with an auto box We covered nearly 700 miles, with four adults and full trunk of luggage. Got 38US mpg from it. Could have done better but the right foot got heavier and heavier...
  8. L

Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

Having a mechanic good with Tdis is something of a dying breed........
  9. L

Very much a city type vehicle with the ability to work a day then return to home base to restock. They are becoming more common as passenger vehicles because of space and pricing.
  10. L

Ford releases 1.5 Turbo diesel Transit Connect For 2019, the Ford Transit Connect surfs two of the most unpopular waves on the market: small, car-based vans and diesel. Ford hopes the updates it made to the Euro-bred model will help lure minivan buyers into showrooms.Tough it's not an all-new...
  11. L

AMAROK V6 TDi

Well lookie here.. NATO solder imports an Amarok.... https://jalopnik.com/theres-an-awesome-volkswagen-amarok-for-sale-in-the-u-s-1821225911
  12. L

2015 passat def tank

Manufacturers seem to have settled on a 10k Def range. Company Ram (ED and CTD) pick ups are both "there".
  13. L

post fix DSG update failure - bricked cars with no solution from VW

Buddy with a 15 DSG planned to keep it, but after doing some research and talking with the service folks, decided not to risk it and turned over the keys of his Tdi in favor of a TSi. Misses the torque, but it really didn't cost him much at all to make the swap.
  14. L

Volkswagen engine boss Wolfgang Hatz arrested

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/former-volkswagen-engine-boss-wolfgang-hatz-arrested-says-report A German investigative media group has reported that former Volkswagen Group engine development boss Wolfgang Hatz has been taken into custody for questioning on his involvement in VW’s...
  15. L

Return car with engine dead?

Makes sense. Even if you have to use the starter to get it there. Or drop it off after hours....when they are closed.