Recent content by LessIsMore

1. L

Seat of the pants alignment

Roll car forward with steering wheel centered. Gun sight along outer edges of front tires to "target" mounted at center cap of rear wheels. Calibrate target device on same model car with proper toe.
  2. L

Oil on Facings/Clutch?

Once again you distort what I posted and react with hotheaded and nasty rudeness. I did not advise anything. I offered a pertinent anecdote to the fellow who said “I ordered the Valeo VR6 clutch... awhile back, but i'd still like to get some service from the current parts. Do i risk damaging...
  3. L

Oil on Facings/Clutch?

I actually have a fraternal and sympathetic view of professional mechanics. But I have that also for the car owners. If my comment was a bit abrasive, perhaps it was because I resent you implying that I had proposed a universal solution. RTFP. To me, the whole thing with the Coke is a bit of a...
  4. L

Oil on Facings/Clutch?

Not surprising that providers of clutch jobs frown on this. A, it might work so no revenue. B, the gooey mess when it does come in.:p For seal leaks, always verify the CCV.
  5. L

Oil on Facings/Clutch?

I put motor oil on my clutch by leaving the bell housing inspection plug out, while I was doing some work with the valve cover and tandem pump off. Some oil ran down, got on the clutch and caused it to slip badly. I wasn't eager to replace the clutch so I dribbled a Coke down onto the clutch...
  6. L

Failing Alternator Pulley? I Think I May Have One

The one way bearing is toast. You'll laugh at yourself for doubting it when you get the replacement in your hands and see how smooth it freewheels. As for the tensioner, it sounds OK, but feel it up again for wobble and roughness when you do the alternator job. That one's super easy to R&R.
  7. L

PD Glow Plugs, Steel versus Ceramic?

Right on Bueller! And include me out of the "Glow Plug Weekend".
  8. L

BRM Cam Failure

After market cams plus the followers, bearings, bolts etc. at a good price would be nice indeed. The worst thing about the shabby POS PD valve train is the price to replace. And that's even though I can do the job myself! The VW pricing just adds insult to injury. I'm not panicked, just pissed...
  9. L

I will not buy from Bilstein ever again.

I'm not thrilled with my Koni sports rusting to hell like a set of el cheapos.
  10. L

JSW first trip to the service dept.

Your battery might be suffering in the cold. A sluggish solinoid can be a symptom of low voltage. A new car is not immune to winter.
  11. L

Cam ? on '04 PD 247,000 miles

With or without the holding tool, it's a good idea to turn the crank back so the pistons are down in the cyl. for this step. Also, for the cam seal, you can just put it on by hand when the cam is still loose.
  12. L

Sustained PD overboost?