Recent content by leicaman

1. leicaman

suspension rattle fix

This may be common to folks on their MK 7 golf, be it gasser, TDI , GTI, or R. I was getting a low speed rattle on small bumps that was frankly driving me crazy. So I took it to my favorite suspension guy and he determined (as I suspected) that the stabilizer link or links were worn. Sure...
  2. leicaman

low beam bulb replacement

Well, I was able to replace my driver's side bulb really easily yesterday. It sure is tight in there. I saw videos where the grill and etc comes out to get the headlamp assembly out. It was tight and I am even thinking of doing the drivers side, but that looks tighter with the 'ol fuse box...
  3. leicaman

This might be good for techs who are on their back alot

https://solopopgo.com/products/automatic-lift-seat I am not affiliated with this company, I just saw this via fb and though some folks might find it useful. gk
  4. leicaman

Saw older white Golf TDI with Wisc plates at Road America

Just got back from Road America and I was following an older white Golf TDI with Wisconsin plates while entering the track. Had a tdiclub.com window cling on the right rear of the rear window, just under the wiper. I was by myself, so I could not get a photo. Saw (and heard btw) a couple of...
  5. leicaman

Car hauler fail

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/milwaukee/2018/02/19/trucker-cited-hauling-wagon-train-10-crumpled-wrecked-vehicles-milwaukee-interstate/352108002/ Like a bungee cord is going to cut it...
  6. leicaman

Active shutter code '15 Jetta 1.8T TSI

My daughters 2015 VW Jetta SE 1.8T TSE, spiked a check engine light on the other day. I got a P05A3 code. When I looked it up it appeared that the code is related to the active shutter mechanism on the car. The code appeared several hours after she took it to a local car wash less than a mile...
  7. leicaman

Replacement 17 inch tires

Guys, My 2015 Golf TDI came with the 17 inch option, 225/45/r17 tires. The tires are half used up and I currently am using my winter Blizzaks with steelies. The worst part is that one of the three tires is a Uniroyal tire and I just want to start over. Of course the ice and snow of winter...
  8. leicaman

A MK 7 observation - weight on empty passenger seat

I've noticed when I hop in my car to go to a job if I place my camera on the passenger seat, the little seatbelt is unbuckled icon appears on the dash. The seats seem to be very sensitive to the weight of a DSLR. I had a Canon 5d MK III with a 70-200 f2.8 L zoom on it. A solution is to snap...
  9. leicaman

Why some dealers do not like enthusiasts

I think this is a pretty good read, even though the diesel door is pretty much shut for new cars. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a14759923/why-the-average-new-car-dealership-hates-selling-to-enthusiasts/?src=nl&mag=rdt&list=nl_rdt_news&date=010618
  10. leicaman

Leicaman's Ride

Here is a snap of my new to me 2015 Golf TDI SE. I have had it for a few weeks and put nearly 2000 miles on it. So far so good. It has only had part one of fixes done, so we await the 2018 fix for emissions. In this photo, I have the factory 17 inch alloy wheels on it, but now it sports my...
  11. leicaman

Leicaman's New Ride

Here is my new ride. A deer took out my 2005 Passat and insurance totaled it. I now have this nice 2015 Golf TDI SE. DSG and all the trimmings. Looking forward to next trip.
  12. leicaman

New parts for B5.5 Passat

FS - New and some used parts for B5.5 Passat As you may know my Passat was totaled by a deer. I have a list of brand new and some used parts. Some prices have been lowered: 1. fuel filter in box (Meyle brand fuel filter (says made in Germany) Part number 0450906374) Sourced from idparts...
  13. leicaman

Deer kill...and maybe passat

Well last Friday I had the misfortune of a flipping deer come into the path of my 2005 Passat. The insurance company has eyeballed it and called it a total. So then I would have to shell out some more money to get it back on the road. I'd like any of your input before I make a decision. I...
  14. leicaman

Throttle body supplier brand question

I have a code P2100 which points to the throttle body on my 2005 Passat TDI. I am researching the part and I see several brands available besides the OEM route: The two I have seen is Siemens VDO and Pierburg. Are there any concerns using any of these alternatives?
  15. leicaman

hot drivers side wheel

I think I have one of two things. Either a seized brake caliper or I have a bad wheel bearing. When I would go 45 it would make a rattling sound from the front end. I am not discounting a CV axle or any other crazy part. If it is a bearing, I have one for the front on the shelf. Its at my...