Recent content by ksmoker

1. K

05 Passat sedan manual transmission project

Bump. Offers? Advice? The reality is setting in that I really do have too many projects. I'd hate to see this thing sit around for the next year...
  2. K

05 Passat sedan manual transmission project

Located in Central VA 23960 $2000 I bought this car last year with FHN trans, needing a clutch and due for a timing belt service. I did the belt service 30k ago along with a Colt Stage 3 cam and new followers, and a southbend clutch with their 17lb SMF. Turns out the magic number is apparently...
  3. K

Is my SMF eating transmissions?

Thinking through this a little more... My car was tuned by the PO, but he couldn't remember who did it. I've never been real impressed by the drivability. A less than great tune could lead to increased vibes, eh?
  4. K

I miss my FHN, but the DVZ is fine. On our trip out west with the FHN, I found it ran just over 3k rpm @100mph. With the DVZ, 3k is more like 80mph.
  5. K

Maybe the problem is the more aggressive disc with the SMF? This car had the valeo kit when I bought it, but it now has a Colt stage 3 cam and tune to match. I was advised that the valeo kit wouldn't stand up to it.
  6. K

Thanks for the help. Now the question becomes: fix it, sell it as-is, or part it out? I've been liquidating projects lately in an effort to de-clutter my life. It's always something...
  7. K

Interesting that opinions vary on this. So if the SMF isn't my issue... what is? My experiences with these two transmissions are too specific and similar for it to be just bad luck.
  8. K

Google search says 17 lbs 😬
  9. K

Pretty much just that. I'm running a complete Southbend setup with their SMF. Last summer, on the front end of a long trip, third gear syncro gave up the ghost. I drove gingerly for the whole trip (5k-ish miles) and by the end of that trip, the trans was a complete disaster. At times, it...
  10. K

Quickest way to get a replacement clutch?!

Sad but true. My wife and I put 5600 miles on it on a trip out west last month, and I couldn't have asked for it to do any better. 41mpg total for the trip, and I was not driving for economy. Had the cruise set at 105 for a while going across ND and MT. I know this car is worth more to me...
  11. K

Update. New problem. I ended up installing a southbend stage 2 daily. Now my car ate 3rd and 4th gear synchros, and 2nd gear is trying to hide from me. What to do? 1. Dig into it myself and learn how to work on manual gearboxes? I don't have experience, but I believe I can figure it out...
  12. K

I just noticed you're in VA. Based on your username, I'm assuming you're not far from me.
  13. K

South Bend says 400-500 miles of stop and go driving with no hard launches AND NO DOWNSHIFTING?! "Highway miles are ok, but don't count towards your break-in period"... 1. I live in the sticks. Almost all my driving is 55mph+. I'm planning on driving to the city just to drive around and put...