Recent content by KLXD

1. K

Help! Timing Belt Replacement Out 180 Degrees

Again, if he just sets the crank at 90* but #2 is on its way up valves will be hit trying to get to the timing mark if the #1 valves are placed in the TDC/firing position. Thus my telling him to go slowly and how to get past TDC if they hit. He doesn't seem to know where it's at. We certainly...
  2. K

Yeahbut, if I'm understanding where he's got it now if he backs the crank off he'll be bringing #2 back up when he goes forward again rather than #1.
  3. K

Pump is fine pinned. There's only a single slot in the flange where the pin can go through. The "hole" mentioned above is actually the space to the side of the boss that the hole is in. If it's truly 180 out on the crank with the belt off you probably need to back it off a bit then rotate the...
  4. K

Lifter tick and low oil pressure after engine rebuild

Haven't been inside one of these since my NA days maybe 35 years ago so Idunno if oil dribbling out indicates anything. Scratches wouldn't hurt your pressure much but wear in the pump bore would and the cover. You have the specs for measuring that?
  5. K

Ok then. I don't know the lube path but if cylinder 1 is at the far end of it those two lifters might be starved if there is an overall low pressure problem and rereading your post indicates a pressure problem. If Vince's suggestion doesn't pan out maybe your relief valve is stuck open as you...
  6. K

Have you measured the bore of the lifters that fail? Where they among those for the bent valves? Where is your gauge plumbed in? Seems to me the root problem must be related to those valves rather than an overall pressure problem. Except for the startup pressure; might have to things going on.
  7. K

Cylinder 2 misfire.

I doubt it will help me but the year might help others help you.
  8. K

Tensioner tabs won’t align ...

If the belt's too long the tensioner would go too far and get loose again. If the cam sprocket was still attached the tensioner would just wind up early in the wrong place or go to far as above depending on where the slack is. I don't think the nut being too tight would cause this. I would...
  9. K

1Z motor hard cranks forever before starting... help

The QA is the blockish housing that sits on top of the horizontal pump housing. It has a vertical electric "motor" that rotates about 90* to control how much the pump injects to each cylinder. There's a seal on its cover and another between it and the pump housing. The changing this lower seal...
  10. K

It's simply a bulkhead fitting for the wires that pass through the side of the case. From there they go up to the board the electrickery is mounted to and are welded, yes welded, to pins on the board. They have to be broken loose if one wants to completely disassemble the quantity adjuster. It...
  11. K

There's the oddly named "cold start" valve that controls the timing on VE pumps but never heard of a valve by that name. Shoulda asked him where it is and what it does.
  12. K

You might be right but are you going to cover the cost if you're not? Better to troubleshoot the problem.
  13. K

I'd check the timing look for air getting into the fuel system. Usually these are cold start problems but if severe enough they could affect warm starts. I'd expect an air problem to be worse the longer it sits but maybe not depending how the fuel is plumbed.
  14. K

Rebuilding tdi starter how-to

I was kinda poking fun. The starter is the least used thing on my car here in sunny So Cal. Now the alternator is another story. At 350K the brushes were gone and the commutator had maybe .100" inch grooves. Bearings were fine though.
  15. K

Rebuilding tdi starter how-to

Why would you have to rebuild a starter? Mine turns maybe a half second for each start. I guess you guys up North have to run them a bit longer.