Recent content by kennethsime

1. kennethsime

IBW is 20!

Congrats on 20 years! It's a hell of a car.
  2. kennethsime

What did you do to your MKIV today?

I've been doing this for the past week with no trouble at all. Thanks very much!
  3. kennethsime

Thanks guys, ordered some new switches from Mouser. Bob, I'll experiment with the unlock twice + lock. Would you mind sharing the logic behind this?
  4. kennethsime

Woke up 4 times last night from 3am-4am, thanks to my alarm going off. Around the 4am, I realized it was perhaps not someone trying to steal my catalytic converter nor an errant squirrel. I decided to stay up and Googled around a lot. After getting a rough idea of what was going on, and the...
  5. kennethsime

New tail light bulbs all the way around, along with a new bulb tray/socket one the driver's side. Still get the door chime as if my lights are on when I leave my foot on the brake and open my door. The metal on the passenger side socket is also peeling up from the plastic tray right around the...
  6. kennethsime

I seem to have acquired more parts than I have time to install, once again. My to-do list is getting long: Thermostat & Coolant Temp Sensor Rear brakes + e-brake cable adjustment Skid plate & side skirts Driver's side Tail light socket I thought I'd knock off the easiest of them with the tail...
  7. kennethsime

Man, that is so clutch! Had no idea. VW really does think of everything. I thought about using some VHB tape, but I just feel like epoxy is going to get the two surfaces closer together. I do like the idea of the aspherical mirrors. My heating elements are burnt out, probably from the prior...
  8. kennethsime

Filled up the tank (actually on Tuesday, I think), $99.99. Diesel was $6.539/gal. Checked the oil (to the amazement of other drivers at the station), wiped down the windshield, and managed to drive off with the fuel tank cap on top of the car. I noticed it as soon as it fell off, just in time...
  9. kennethsime

Cruise Control Not Engaging

Hey folks, I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction here. When I'm on the highway, my cruise control doesn't work about half the time. I flip the switch, the light comes on my dash, yet the Set button doesn't engage CC. Has anyone else had this problem? I wonder if it might be...
  10. kennethsime

Malone Stage 1 or 1.5?

I haven't actually installed a boost gauge yet, but my car drives fine and is plenty fun. It took some getting used to at first, but no regrets at all. I think my clutch will give out before my turbo. May be worse for the turbo if you're at elevation - I'm down by the water for the most part.
  11. kennethsime

Any independent tuners around?

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Malone and Kerma are great. There are a couple of small-time guys who tried to get into the business of tuning recently and failed miserably - their drama has been all over several VW / TDI Facebook groups. In summary, they offered tuning and then disappeared...
  12. kennethsime

Got my best tank so far at 31mpg. Man, that's low. I think about 200 of that was highway, which helped - normally I'm driving just a couple of miles per day. I do think the tune helped a bit. Still need to get some time one of these weekends to swap in the new thermostat & coolant temp sensor.
  13. kennethsime

Mk4 plastic emergency brake button cap

Mine came off similarly, though I was lucky enough to find it a week or two later under my seat. I super-glued it back on.
  14. kennethsime

Filled Tank, Didn’t Start

Burpod is almost certainly right - I've been in the same position a few times.
  15. kennethsime

Considering raising my 06 VW beetle

Rides good! Just a touch more slop from the springs I think - but still corners great on the highway. I will say the shocks are nearly maxed out - I feel it when I go over certain speed bumps, especially if I forget to slow down.