Recent content by kendavis

1. K

R99 and VW TDI

Anyone know if this new R99 stuff is okay for use in VW TDI vehicles? Don't want to risk losing a fuel pump or something without asking. I don't see any official statement, but the concerns are the obvious "Is the lubricity good enough?" --K
  2. K

snow chains/cables and traction devices

Bought an unused, secondhand set that are good as new - and the correct size according to their website. The hubs were mounted a few times, but they'd never installed the traction devices - not a scratch on them. Paid $90.00 with shipping.
  3. K

Decided to go with Spikes-Spider Quicks. Got a good deal on them, and they solve all the issues I was concerned about. 1. Won't screw up my rims. 2. Nothing goes behind the tire. 3. Good traction when it gets icy up here where I live. The other night I had to drive without chains/cables...
  4. K

What is a reasonable price?

Dealers, prices, and the word reasonable. It all comes down to what you are willing to pay. There's obviously a lower limit where that particular dealer is not making any money or losing money on that particular car - and you're not going to be told or be able to look up what that magic...
  5. K

What are folks using that live in states that have chain mandates like California on their Passats? I live in the mountains, and therefore have to deal with snow accumulations through the winter months. I can't just get good tires and be done with it as California has R-1, R-2, and R-3 chain...
  6. K

Installed Footwell lights as ambient lights

I don't see this footwell light kit you're referring to. I would think that a kit would consist of 4 lights and the wiring harness - one pin of the wiring harness would have an end connector on it to go into a pin connector on the BCM harness which allows the lights to be controlled by the...
  7. K

Is new diesel improved over 2003 1.9

Different animal. Comparing stock engine PD to stock engine CR - no tuning updates. New engine (CR): Smoother Power delivery - much better power delivery at low RPM's and more level delivery across the powerband. Quiet Almost no soot/smoke (so minimal you may never even notice it's not...
  8. K

DSG or 6M????

In an abbreviation - DSG. It does everything a manual does with very little efficiency cost. It's much faster to shift than any manual transmission unless you're some kind of race car driver - in which case TDI is the wrong engine choice for you probably... Smooth as silk.
  9. K

When will the new factory fog light retrofit kit be available?

I have installed this kit on my 2012 Passat SE. It's installation was very straightforward, and there is only one place that "requires" a special tool. Make sure that you are aware that the retrofit kit does not add the same functionality as buying the car with the fogs already installed...