Recent content by Keith_J

1. Keith_J

Radio Code

I've had the battery disconnected and out of the car for 24 hours without losing the code. I've never removed the card from the owner's manual. Is there really a market for VW radios?
  2. Keith_J

Please help. How to pull codes?

What I am thinking is happening is breather is freezing in the cold weather, blocking the flow which builds pressure. When the pressure in the crankcase is higher than the pressure in the compressor or turbine, oil now flows past the seals instead of air/exhaust weeping past the seals into the...
  3. Keith_J

Diagnostic dilemma: can you relate these two issues

vacuum pump isn't working. This pump uses vanes, these can get frozen. Below 32F? Water. No? Dirt. New vacuum pump.
  4. Keith_J

P0380 code

It will take time to undo the mess the former governor has made of the state. Just look at MF Global. Save up for VCDS and don't look back. Get the Bentley Factory Service Manual too.
  5. Keith_J

Please help. How to pull codes?

Did you check the oil before leaving the dealership? Because they MAY have forgotten a quart. Yes, IT HAPPENS. With an "SH". First rule with dealerships is you never trust their work. Oil level is your responsibility...ok, getting off the soap box of having been burned by dealerships. A...
  6. Keith_J

San Antonio area mechanic?

As far as dealers go (gasp!), Rod East had been excellent. The one reason? Rod East would walk through and make sure his name was never tarnished. But caveat emptor, the dealership has been sold and will be renamed. The head service writer there knew his craft, the mechanics respected him...
  7. Keith_J

Oil Extractor - Good idea or bad idea?

My MV7201 Mityvac gets all but drips. This is the large one with manual pump, also functions as a dispenser, vacuum or pressure brake bleeder when combined with their valve assembly or suitable push-button valve. I've installed a simple push-button valve for extracting oil. This way, I can...
  8. Keith_J

Oil Extractor - Good idea or bad idea?

Contradictory posts. Using an extractor allows you to get the used oil in the filter housing. But there is at LEAST a liter (over a quart) in the oil galleries, oil pump and XZN bolt heads in the head. I know this because after an overhaul, it took a 3.78 liter bottle plus another half to...
  9. Keith_J

5th Gear Selector Hub Questions

Could the spring have lost an end? There are two pawl designs, sintered (MIM) and stamped. IIRC, sintered are the early. Oh, Canadian Mist and cranberry? Doesn't sound good. I'm a Jim Beam on the rocks kind of guy.
  10. Keith_J

Early cracked serpentine belt, why?

Vertical cracks? Strength is in the fabric, not rubber. Unless you see fraying or it is slipping, it is fine.
  11. Keith_J

2000 ALH rebuild: Cam

70 microliters/stroke. 10mm piston would need a 900mm stroke to get 70 milliliters. Max stroke is indeed about 9mm. Now onto the maximum fuel-power situation with a 10mm pump. 70 microliters of diesel per injection, running at 4000 RPM, is 33.6 liters per hour. At the 220 grams per kW-hour...
  12. Keith_J

P0380 code

Must be a state law. Drive into Philly and find an Auto Zone to reset? If the glow plug harness is good and all 4 read less than 5 ohms (temperature dependent) and are close, then by all means erase the DTC. Disconnecting the battery will not clear codes. Most generic scanners can. Are you...
  13. Keith_J

Timing belt damage

You could let the Brown Santa deliver your head to Missouri. IIRC, Frank has rebuilds in stock for quick turn-around, if you don't need the exact same head (the exchange will be the correct part). Drop him a note. Franko6
  14. Keith_J

Failed CTS hurting economy?

It was G62 that failed first. It had a code, it didn't trigger a MIL. IIRC, when this sensor fails, J248 uses fuel temperature as the engine temperature. Meaning excessive post glow and burning out glow plugs prematurely. Also, this loads the alternator which again reduces economy. But if...
  15. Keith_J

Timing belt damage

Peace of mind? You need a cam, 8 tappets and valves. Why not send it to Frank? 200k+ miles of security. Can you install valve guides, then ream and assure the new valves will seal with minimal lapping?