Recent content by Karmann-diesel

1. Karmann-diesel

For Sale in CT: 1999.5 VW GOLF GL TDI – “TDI SPORT EDITION”

Very nice car! Chris is a very detail-oriented guy & it shows in this car. I think whoever the next owner is will be really pleased. Glad to see you looking at A3's. I'm currently sportwagen shopping myself. :)
  2. Karmann-diesel

Clearance sale at VW of Langhorne (Philly, PA)

Hello Chris, On your website is looks like you still have a 2010 Cup edition, manual trans. Can you post the info & pricing on Stock Number: AM163860? Also wondering if it has the body kit. If you have any other 2010 Cup cars with manual trans I would like hear about them as well. Thank you,
  3. Karmann-diesel

My TDI

I just picked up a "Jetta Genuine Volkswagen Accessories" brochure at a dealer here in the us for the 2011 model. It shows the splash guards but I am not having much luck finding them on the DriverGear.VW.com website. It's new enough aftermarket parts vendors may not have them so I would...
  4. Karmann-diesel

My TDI

From the peanut gallery: Please get splash guards! I caused all kinds of sand & stone damage on the paintwork behind the front wheels of my car without them. I think the clear film & splash guards would go a long way to keeping that car looking great over the long term.
  5. Karmann-diesel

Moving to Portland,Me.... Any tips about the City?

I lived in Portland for about 3 years recently & really liked the place. I've moved away for work but definitely miss the place. To answer your questions... there really are no great vw dealers anywhere nearby. There is Prime in Saco which is 25 minutes or so south. There is Morong VW in...
  6. Karmann-diesel

Suspension noises Mk IV Jetta

Bravo on the Das Boot reference! Excellent movie. Agreed that it's probably the right front wheel bearing growling while turning to the left. As for the second noise here are a few thoughts. The two sway bar mounting bushings may be worn. Spray them down as mentioned above & see if the...
  7. Karmann-diesel

Major Glow Plug #*!&@^$

Very interesting thread!
  8. Karmann-diesel

Oil In Turbo????

Sounds like a compression test or cylinder leak down test would be the best way to get a true read on the engines condition. If the engine had a partial run away at one point & had a slightly bent connecting rod you would see that in a compression test. One point on the oil in the turbo...
  9. Karmann-diesel

My Car Moans on Startup

Generally speaking, I don't think bump starting it will show the problem. The moaning noise is really the sound of the starter dragging caused by the starter drive gear not retracting back away from the flywheel ring gear fast enough when you release the key switch back from the start position...
  10. Karmann-diesel

My Car Moans on Startup

Hey there VF. I think it's the starter making the noise too. Mine has been doing this off & on for a while. The odd thing is I pulled my battery & cleaned the battery terminals & the grounds under the battery tray & I have not heard the sound since doing this a month or so ago.
  11. Karmann-diesel

Cold Weather Design Flaw, Secret Recall from VW?

In the 4 years since I took my fuel sender apart & decided to drill the check valve out I have not had a single reoccurrance of the fuel starvation problem that was making my car stall out in the cold. It's easy, cheap & it works.
  12. Karmann-diesel

TDI wont start at -22F

Has anyone ever tried to wire a second battery in parallel to the original battery? This would keep the system at 12 volts but would increase the amp-hour capacity. I see this two battery system in 12v construction equipment all the time. In below zero F weather left overnight my Jetta doesn't...
  13. Karmann-diesel

HELP: HUGE pothole caused massive vibration, loud engine noise, & loss of power

Take a very close look at the passenger side engine mount. The mount is actually 3 pieces. Make sure to check the aluminum piece that bolts to the engine block with 3 bolts. You will need to pull the upper timing belt cover to find one of the bolts. The other two can been seen from above the...
  14. Karmann-diesel

Be careful at rest stops!

Slightly OT Jwagen, When you're in other states how you do handle carrying your pistol with you? Meaning are you cleared to have it with you or are you taking a legal risk by having it with you? I'm just wondering what the laws are like around where you live. -Thanks,
  15. Karmann-diesel

LanduytG VW Cat Filter implicated in Piston Meltdown

Is the warranty on the powertrain for a 2003 50,000 or 100,000 miles? If they are going to deny you warranty on the engine you need to make sure they put in writing what their reasoning is & you get a copy of it. I just don't see how a fuel filter that does a better job then the OEM filter...