Recent content by kafer65

1. kafer65

The gasoline engine is NOT dead.

We are getting 34 as we'll in our cx-5. Seen 31 and 38 mpg too. Simplicity and driving dynamics are great too! I horning for a manual trams but the auto is pretty unoffensive I have to say.
  2. kafer65

2006 Jetta - no start after cold

Mine's back up and running too. No codes. I found some diesel kleen, but I don't think it's helpful as an anti-gelling agent.
  3. kafer65

I had mine towed home and pulled the old filter out for inspection. To my surprise, I found no water or clouding. The fuel looked normal. I put a new filter in and tried again to get it started to no avail. The fuel should have been warmed after driving 10 miles before it quit initially. They...
  4. kafer65

Mine started and drove for 9 miles and was up to full temperature. Grilles were blocked 90 percent and it quit at a stop light. It was -4 F. After 10 minutes I got it restarted and went another 100 yards where it sits now:(. I didn't have any additive. I'm wondering if heating up the filter...
  5. kafer65

Anyone tuned a bew cammed brm?

Me too. I did RC tune on BEW cam. It a bit of alright:D
  6. kafer65

Temp light blinking after cold start 10F

Looks like a trend it forming. Mine just started doing this. The first time it was cold start in 44 degree F. After warm restart it went away. Is this something like the Mk4 overflow tank probes needing cleaning? Yes, I know its an old thread. Hey, at least my mileage has improved=44 mixed...
  7. kafer65

WTB Newer TDI but

Yup. Not many surprises here. I notice virtually every Jetta I see in parking lots around here have headliner problems like clockwork. The 1998 Beetle was that way too. I'd just go down the checklist of things that I noted could go wrong and like clockwork I'd check them off as I fixed them...
  8. kafer65

2006 jetta tdi no ac passenger side fan not functioning

Its easy to repair the fans. I've had one get stuck and some tapping got it working and I've had one that I took appart. They usually feel or sound like they are running full blast all of the time when one is stuck. Its not to good for the fan control module to leave them stuck. Good catch on...
  9. kafer65

Catastrophic DSG flywheel failure

When I bought the used 1998 Beetle the only indication it gave that I had a blown dual mass was that I had a little trouble getting into a gear every now and again. That was with a manual trans though. Lots of spring links thrashing around just like in the pic. I didn't notice any excessive...
  10. kafer65

Appalachian Diesel Works Fall 2013 GTG

I gonna really miss this GTG! I just got mine back together from my own personal cursefest doing the headliner myself (which looks like arsh if I do say so myself). I still prefer the complete unabridged yugoslavian curse codex myself. The black curse clouds still haven't cleared over my...
  11. kafer65

06 Jetta Terrible Headliner Rattle

That is a valid point Mad about the price on a new one. I didn't start until I was sure I wanted to do the removal and install myself. I didn't have a secure way to get a new headliner from the dealer to my garage since I'm at least an hours drive to the nearest dealer from home. If this doesn't...
  12. kafer65

Driver's Seat Doesn't Go Back Far Enough?

I'm 6'4" too. I don't have the seat all the way back nor do I have it all of the way down. I had it that way on my mark4 as well. On my mk5 I find the shifter is a bit too far away and the center console corner digs into my knee a bit. Otherwise headroom is acceptable (I can still go down a...
  13. kafer65

Sorry, its difficult for me to find time to post pics after work at the moment. I did have a concern about color match to the A,B and C pillar covers since the fake seude is slightly more orange. I'll have to see what they look like together. If I think the color is too far off I may cover the A...
  14. kafer65

Sorry, its difficult for me to find time to post pics after work at the moment. I did have a concern about color match to the A,B and C pillar covers since the fake seude is slightly more orange. I'll have to see what they look like together. If I think the color is too far off I may cover...
  15. kafer65

I used the writeup at myturbodiesel to spur me into attempting it. It has pictures and was very helpful. Its not technically difficult to get down, when you know where the attachment points and electrical plugs are. I would add that getting the liner out of the car is tricky. I did manage to...