Recent content by Justinw303

1. J

Platinum Gray Metallic Paint Color - Durable?

Is there any reason why the paint jobs would vary in quality among different colors? They all have clearcoat on them, so with cars this new no one should be experiencing actual paint damage. The clearcoat, however, seems super soft and very easily scratched, at least in our case (white '13)
  2. J

Anyone else wish VW didn't put that chrome strip on the newer model Passats?

We absolutely LOVE the look of our 2013 SE, and a brand new Passat is probably the leading contender for the replacement once ours is bought back. But I just can't get over the stupid chrome strips doing down the sides and on the bumper. Really brings down the visual appeal of the car.
  3. J

banning diesel

Are you disputing the fact that diesel engines contribute to the smog issues that these cities are facing?
  4. J

Low Coolant icon flashing red on cold starts, but coolant level looks fine

From my experience with this terrible owner's manual, the answer is sure to be "Take your vehicle to a certified Volkswagen service center"
  5. J

Low Coolant icon flashing red on cold starts, but coolant level looks fine

On my wife's 2013, the low coolant light illuminates every time she starts it up in the morning. I can see coolant in the reservoir, so I'd think it's definitely not so low as to trigger such a serious warning. Is there a way we can shut it up without taking it to a dealer or using VCDS? The car...
  6. J

Buyback question

Unless VW sends you a tax form related to it, which would imply that they also sent one to the IRS, don't claim the buyback.
  7. J

Broke down on the side of the Hwy on a road trip

Source for there being an extended warranty on the HPFPs for these cars?
  8. J

first outing pulling a trailer

That's a bit different than towing the same amount in a trailer.
  9. J

NMS/B7 - Passat '12+ FAQ & Maintenance HOW-TO

Fuel Filter job was easy as can be on my '13. VCDS was not needed, and she cranked up without even the slightest delay. Did not empty the diesel from the canister, and didn't top it off with anything after putting in new filter. Just cycled the fuel pump several times by turning the key to the...
  10. J

Passat NMS TDI Long Term Maintenance/To DO List

You don't need the special bottles to fill the AdBlue, it's laughably easy to do a quick, no-mess job with the standard 2.5 gallon jug for sale at Wal-Mart, etc.
  11. J

Broke down on the side of the Hwy on a road trip

Can't wait to get rid of this expensive collection of repairs... I mean car.
  12. J

VWGoA Claim website

You want a longer buyback window? Isn't that just more time for your car to be involved in an accident or have a serious mechanical failure? I want them to buy this back ASAP before anything can happen to destroy the deal for me.
  13. J

DSG Service and Bukyback

I'm having similar debates myself. Wondering if I should even bother replacing the fuel filter at 60k if won't have the car too much longer. But then the question is, exactly how much longer will we have too wait before the buyback happens?
  14. J

Volkswagen emissions scandal survey

Survey submitted. Included a comment about how I'm as upset with the EPA as I am with VW (maybe even more) for producing emission standards so tight that other executives made the (correct) assumption that VW must be cheating in some way in order to meet the standards.
  15. J

Dieselgate: Volkswagen to Spend Up to $14.7 Billion to Settle ...

Why would you even consider a truck from VW? This is not the company to buy trucks from.