Recent content by juniormarbles

1. J

Sunroof: Cannot Find the Manual Crank Location

Found the screw: it's recessed deep under the white printed circuit ribbon poking through the hole in the plastic brace.
  2. J

Comment by 'juniormarbles' in media 'IMG_6891.jpeg'

No. That's why I asked the question. No allen wrench, no allen screw.
  3. J

Sunroof: Cannot Find the Manual Crank Location

My 2011 Sportwagon (build date 9-11) has a misaligned sunroof that is stuck and the motor cannot move it. I am trying to find the screw or nut to crank the roof manually, but there does not seem to be one in my model? I have added a picture. Maybe someone can point out the spot where I can...
  4. IMG_6891.jpeg

IMG_6891.jpeg

5. J

Good East Bay TDI Mechanics?

Thanks, I am familair with his great reputation. The problem: San Anselmo (Marin County) is too far away from Concord, and that makes towing and logistics of getting and staying around there hard. Anyone in the EAST Bay come to mind?
  6. J

Good East Bay TDI Mechanics?

My TDI is overheating right now in the Bay Area and I want to know where to tow the car. Any East Bay recommendations?
  7. J

portland/gresham tdi work

fixumhaus failed me royally. Lots of talk but could not fix my defective heater, still charged me $300+. Justin Grow is the man who knows TDIs like no one else in the greater PDX area.
  8. J

Need Help! 06 MKV Jetta Lower Door Hinge

I have the same problem: disintegrated bushing sleeve. As I tried but cannot find just the sleeve bearing, I need to replace the lower hinge (Jetta V). I've seen horror stories that it takes all kinds of dismantling of the door and fender to remove the lower front door hinge. Can anyone...
  9. J

Seat Memory Gone Haywire

I will take out the switch, inspect it closely and restore contacts, if necessary. Driver's door lock was recently replaced, which also restored the interior light coming on again when opening the door. So all door-related/harness functions work again, so I am not inclined to deal with the...
  10. J

Seat Memory Gone Haywire

I appreciate your solutions, but I don't think I have the problem where these solutions apply: I can recall, set and reprogram with any of the 4 memory switches fine. Only after I unlock the door does the seat sets itself to a phantom setting. So the unintended seat setting must be somehow...
  11. J

Seat Memory Gone Haywire

Unlocking my Mark V TDI with keyfob or door lock will reset the seat to an awkward position (I did not set it and it's unknown where that came from). Pressing any of the saved memory button (1, 2, or 3) once I am in the car will restore the seat position to my previously saved settings. The...
  12. J

VAG_COM or Torque Pro?

Thank you all for super-informative posts. I have my marching orders now: a Windows 10- equipped minimalist notebook, and a Ross Tech cable, preferably bought directly from them, so I can update/get support. JM
  13. J

VAG_COM or Torque Pro?

Cool, thanks. I can install bootcamp on my Mac to run Windows 10 The next question: where do I buy VAGCOM software compatible with Windows 10? Is there a reliable used market for this, like eBay? I'd like to avoid buying an illegal or unauthorized copy. Or must I buy new from Rosstech?
  14. J

VAG_COM or Torque Pro?

Thank you both. Now I understand clearly what tool is necessary to customize functions. But it's a royal pain having to buy a windows computer (I never liked them) AND the software. It would be so much more convenient if RossTech would finally offer a Mac-compatible version of its VAGCOM, or at...
  15. J

VAG_COM or Torque Pro?

An independent VW mechanic used VAGCOM/VCDS software on his laptop to turn off my xenons as DRLs (this was on a MKV Jetta GLI), then programmed the fog lights as DRLs. Would a Scantool/Bluetooth dongle + TorquePro app allow me to execute custom functions like that, and program my key-fob for...