Recent content by JohnTF

1. J

Anchor Motorworks starter and alternator parts

Ok thanks , do not do facebook . Wanted to do a bookmark , just come back when ready . Thanks
  2. J

Trying to find out what something is in car ?

Well that's it , have to take a closer look at the thing in the middle .
  3. J

Anchor Motorworks starter and alternator parts

Do you have a website ? Do not need at this time , and future is a little muddy - have auto trans , but bought most of the parts for manual swap from someone on this site . So do not want to have at backup for auto - no telling how long it will last , old-farters / and no shop , garage space is...
  4. J

Trying to find out what something is in car ?

About one yr. after buying car 2003 Jetta wagon , I noticed a folddown thing between the rear view mirror & windshield about 2 inches from top of windshield . It is about 1 inch high by about 5 inches wide - looks to have a light sensor in the center facing forward - in the fold down position ...
  5. J

'03 TDI cam shaft position sensor

" Murphy Rules " is trying to lay claim to the car - and playing ugly - putting you on crutches ;) 1st off , you do not have a cam sensor , but it should have a crank sensor - it would be located on top of the transmission . Do a search for crank sensor - to get a look at one to see what your...
  6. J

'03 TDI cam shaft position sensor

The fuel cut-off is in / on the fuel pump / distributor . Making is easier on those that help , make it more likely to get answers ! Old post - should refresh what your dealing with , symptoms --- not requiring those following to back & reread , from 8 months ago ;)
  7. J

MN Chat Thread

I 1st started fixing cars , motorcycles etc. before I got my driving lic.in the 60s . Did or a living & as a business , even go into racing / the shop i did that with was northern CA , hot rods , mud & pull trucks . The owner was big into VWs , he was known for modding VW buses for the...
  8. J

MN Chat Thread

I am interested in the 5th gear set , in St. Paul
  9. J

Injector tester ?

At this time looking for leaky / leak-down , hard to start after 6-8 hrs , ruff idle for a few seconds , then fine , except for a slight vibration at low load @ about 1800 RPM .
  10. J

MN Chat Thread

Isn't that shop in Mpls a regular thing ? Close to this time of yr. ?
  11. J

Injector tester ?

Lost my high end popit tester in a fire , looking at some on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=diesel+injector+tester&crid=GNNGSKD3992H&sprefix=diesel+in%2Caps%2C215&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_9 One my questions is adapters - to attach injector , not much ability to ask about the chineeze stuff ...
  12. J

Timing belt kit at RockAuto ?

Have a few bucks set aside , RockAuto has multiple options , I would typically go for known brands I see Gates & Continental , then metal WP impeller . So looking to see what info others have - no mention of longer life belts ?
  13. J

2013 jetta tdi

Check for broken timing belt
  14. J

Glow plug issue ?

I found a NIB but 2nd frost / engine heater , but haven't installed yet , part of the reason is that it was for a manual , I have an AT , but also bought most of the parts for a MT swap . Have not found info on what the difference is , seems to me that either would install to the same...
  15. J

Glow plug issue ?

" ruff idle for a minute or so , with blue-gray smoke " The smoke part is less than the ruff idle - just a few seconds .