Recent content by jlock92

1. J

Pics of my new 2012 Golf TDI

Now my Golf TDI has almost 53K and the fuel mileage is getting better. On a recent trip to Chicago, IL from Dallas, TX, I averaged 51 mpg on the trip up and 50 mpg on the trip back. I put 2100 miles on the car on this 5 day trip and spent only $132.00 for diesel the entire trip and still had...
  2. J

Thinking of selling my 2012 TDI

The greatest point made by Mdub707. I have seen 2000 model Golf TDIs in very good condition go for around $10K with mileage (12 yr old car). Unless your Subaru is a WRX or WRX STI, you won't get much for it down the road. Golf TDIs really hold their value on the used market.
  3. J

Castrol SLX Professional LL03 oil

Well, two oil changes down and still enjoying the heck out of my TDI. I am starting to sway others in considering one for their next new car purchase. I have recently had guys in big SUVs pull up next to me at traffic lights and start asking a ton of question about the car, especially about...
  4. J

Long time no post. Well, as of 9/24/12, I have had my Golf TDI for 1 year. Just a little short of 27K miles on the car for this first year. I hardly drive my 2000 Monte Carlo SS or 2004 Chevy Trailblazer anymore. In fact, I have to force myself to occasionally drive each of them just to keep...
  5. J

Just making sure it is the proper oil to use. Been reading the forum for some time and I have heard of other brands that are to be used in PD/CR engines and did not know that Castrol was a player in this market. I have used Castrol in my gassers for over 20 years without any issues so I feel...
  6. J

Just recently had my 10K oil change done at my local VW dealership. Here is a link to the oil that they used: http://www.amazon.com/50507-Castrol-Professional-LL03-12ltrs/dp/B005ZJFZIS Want to know what many of you think about this oil. I did not know that Castrol made an oil for TDI...
  7. J

2012 Passat Oil Change

Don't really know if truman's claim is accurate, but if you don't have to change the oil so frequent, why do it then? Is it because we have all bought into that claim that you have to change it every 3k in a gasser? I bought into that too for the longest time. Then I started hearing that...
  8. J

2012 Passat Oil Change

That was issued for the Golf and Jetta TDI engines from what I have read and received. Here is a link to a news article concerning said recall: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/06/vw-and-audi-recall-nearly-170-000-tdi-diesel-models/ The recall does not concern the Passat TDI so you are cool...
  9. J

2012 Passat Oil Change

03-246, Best thing to do is listen to the guys that know what they are talking about. I just took my car in to my local dealer (did not buy my car there) for my first scheduled 10K oil change. They showed me the oil that will be going into my car and even informed me that I have two more...
  10. J

How do you know when car goes into limp mode?

Temps were on the cold side while I was up in Iowa. It was in the upper teens to low 30s all but about four days (of my nine days there) when the temps in the mid 40s to 60 during the day. Yes, it was the first time I had the car in real freezing weather (but not snow or ice). I did notice my...
  11. J

What is a regen?
  12. J

No, there was no check engine light on, was on, or flashed on/off.
  13. J

Like the title suggests, how do you know when you TDI goes into limp mode? Just got back from making a long trip (Dallas, TX to GPT, MS to Des Moines, IA, to GPT, MS to Dallas, TX), putting 3350 miles on my 2012 Golf TDI. Mainly drove the speed limits with a few exceptions.:rolleyes: There...
  14. J

I've got a little over 3500 miles on mine as of today. Loving every minute of driving it!! In fact, I have not driven either of my other two vehicles or my motorcycle since buying my TDI. Currently getting anywhere between 34mpg and 41mpg city, depending on how much lead I load in my foot...
  15. J

my new golf tdi, towing my airstream

Below is a link to a trailer that is built for those that own small cars. http://tinyhouseblog.com/travel-trailers/the-tb-trailer/ Scroll down the page a little to see what VW is pulling one of their trailers. If that VW can pull a T@B trailer, then a Golf TDI definitely would not have an...