Recent content by JesseTDI

1. J

2012 Golf TDI itching for a tune again

Ive been running a Kerma Tune on my 2012 Golf (with emissions intact) for over 4 years and over 50k miles now. It's been great! Still pulls harder and gets better MPG than pre-tune. The thing gives my (stock) MK8 GTI a run for its money between stoplights!
  2. J

Intercooler icing solution my way.

No, I've been doing it for at least 5 years now.
  3. J

oil extraction via dipstick hole

No you just need a more narrow extractor hose. I use a Topsider and it came with several different size hoses and one of them fit fine. You can get clear tubing at hardware stores.
  4. J

WTB: ID Parts Winter Front

Just leave them in. I live in Mo and I put mine in when the overnight temps get into the 40's and take them out early/mid March regardless of temp swings. It doesn't get hot enough here in the winter to have issues with the grille being blocked. I have a scanguage and constantly monitor the...
  5. J

Go to lowes and buy 2 of those split foam pipe insulation tubes, smallest size is fine and a bag of zip ties 15 min in your driveway with a knife to cut the foam and it will cost you less than $10.
  6. J

I've never had a problem with just blocking off the grille when the temps drop below 40 degrees. If I don't do it I Ice up but ZERO problems with it blocked off.
  7. J

Warranty coverage/Dealership shady

Sounds like you need to speak to an attorney. They definitely sound shady and depending on your states consumer protection laws you may have a case (with them performing work on your car without your authorization and all). Hopefully having an attorney contact them about a car that was running...
  8. J

winter/snow tires

Kansas City MO. Not crazy winters but we get ice storms and the occasional deep snow
  9. J

Tuning an automatic?

Correct, Kerma wnot do a delete tune so if you want or need to delete then Malone is your only choice. I did the Kerma engine tune only (so far) the DSG tune will be in the future when I get around to it.
  10. J

Tuning an automatic?

Kerma won't do a delete tune. They play it cautious since they are based in the US and don't want the EPA hitting them with huge fines like they have tried to do to some aftermarket truck diesel tuners. Malone has no qualms about doing a delete tune for you. Ive gone with the Kerma tune and I...
  11. J

AC Hot/cold issue

Using the proper automotive a/c equipment and vcds it will be obvious to any half competent mechanic that the RCV (the valve others have mentioned) has gone bad. Anyone with even passing knowledge of vw's will know of the RCV's tendency to randomly crap out. Yes, the first thing anybody working...
  12. J

winter/snow tires

I love my Toyo Celsius tires they are "All Weather" tires (supposed to be better than allseasons in the snow but won't wear out fast like dedicated snow tires if you leave them on through the summer). Ive put about 25k miles on them through all types of Midwest weather and they are indeed better...
  13. J

I bought a TDI. 5 minutes later and it would not start. Now it won't even crank.

When I first bought my car, after the test drive. I went to start it up again at the dealer to pull it up next to my old car. No start, no click no crank, only dash lights headlights ect. Thought ***? Service tech came out with a brush, some terminal cleaner and a wrench, he cleaned the battery...
  14. J

Oil in intercooler pipes leaking out

Oil in the charge pipes is normal, its not coming from the turbo, its coming from crankcase gasses being recirculated back into the intake. How much is normal is a highly debated question and most people have more than you'd think slugged up in there. Bottom line is you will always have some...
  15. J

What Problems Are You Having with Your Buyback Cars?

Add a frozen rear brake caliper on mine, just had it fixed yesterday. Only cost me $50 for the deductible.