Recent content by jeffmon

1. J

EGR Delete on AHU (poor man's version)

Almost three years down the road, and I still haven't had any reason to try the SSR. My vacuum switch method still works, and I'm at 525,000 miles now. The reason I checked this thread is that one of my wires pulled out of a connector and I had to check where I had put it. I guess I did a...
  2. J

This should work A year later, and still no 1403. I haven't tried it, but if you want to try the solid state relay get one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Input-3-32V-Output-HHG1D-0-032F-20/dp/B008MU2A8A A bargain at $3.75. Hook it up like this: Make sure you "tee" the resistor and relay...
  3. J

Thanks, vr6_idaho. I guess I didn't know where to look for the tools and code to program the ECU. Since I already had a free vacuum switch, resistor, and connectors, my cost was zero. I will check out Ecuconnections and see what else I might do. Normally I keep my cars stock, but as the...
  4. J

That's it, annieneff. Pins 5 and 6 are on the same end of the connector, brown and brown/red, respectively. Doesn't matter which one has the resistor and which one has the switch. (Obvious to most, but maybe not to everybody.) I'm still free of the annoying 1403.
  5. J

Still no 1403 code! I connected VAG-COM, and drove it while logging MAF and EGR%. It's kind of hard to tell what's going on when you're shifting and changing engine speeds, but I think I've captured a segment with fairly steady throttle and you can see the effect of EGR cycling. The yellow...
  6. J

Just a little follow-up.... Omega sells a vacuum switch PSW24V-200W for $28 that should work. It is made to mount on a PC board, but a little soldering takes care of that. Vaccon's VS5 has wires, but it's $50.50. Both can be ordered on line.
  7. J

Yes, you could use a relay in place of N18, but I think it might toggle on and off too fast. I suspect that a pulse train modulates the opening of the valve, and the period of that pulse train might be too fast to actually close the relay contacts. I thought about using a "DC" solid state...
  8. J

After more than 400,000 miles on my '98 Jetta, the metal hoses to the EGR cooler finally cracked beyond repair. I removed them and blocked off the exhaust and the intake manifold ports with little plates of sheet metal, using the gaskets that were already there. I used VAG-COM to set channel 3...
  9. J

Engine stalls on cold start.

Symptoms of high oil pressure I don't know about the cold start mechanism failure symptoms. Symptoms of the sticking cam follower problem caused by high oil pressure are as follows: On a really cold morning (10F), the engine will start and run for a few (fewer than five) seconds, then die...
  10. J

augie dog, this is exactly what was (note the past tense) wrong with my car. I replaced the oil pump, and the problem went away. I feel like I have a brand new car. Replace your oil pump if you haven't done it yet. I had the exact same symptoms, including the fast cranking like it had no...
  11. J

I bought an oil pump, couple of bolts, and an oil pan gasket from idparts, about $130. I figured with over 400,000 mi, I should replace it rather than clean it up. I installed the pump (little over an hour) and the problem is gone. Who would have thought the oil pressure was too high? Ski in...
  12. J

I haven't noticed the ticking, but it is hard to rev when immediately started from cold. If I keep the revs low for a couple of minutes, everything is fine, but if I rev it too much, too soon, it stalls. Now that I think about it, Ski in NC might be on to something, and I just kind of blipped...
  13. J

Crank position sensor fixed cold start!

In my case, I didn't even get a code. The ECU probably only tests for resistance, like a multimeter. A G28 problem can be masked because the ECU can use the needle lift sensor signal if it can't get a good signal from G28. I suspect in my case the engine died when it tried to use the G28...
  14. J

I got about 1100 ohms across the sensor, which is within the range that would indicate it was OK. I couldn't believe that was the problem, but I had already ordered the new one. It makes me wonder if the magnetic part in the center wasn't as strong as it needed to be. That would explain why...
  15. J

For about three years, when my 98 AHU Jetta had been sitting in cold temperatures (30F or lower) for several hours, I had starting problems. After the glow plug light went out, I cranked the engine and it started immediately. It ran for one to five seconds or so, then died. After that, it was...