Recent content by jdulle

1. J

96 Green B4 Sedan parts available in central NY state, engine good

I have a tractor with a loader to assist with pulling an engine for those with the mechanical ability (I have never done it).
  2. J

96 Green B4 Sedan parts available in central NY state, engine good

I pulled my 96 Passat TDI into the woods for a parts car now, so I have some parts available. Big parts would require you coming here to pick up. Small parts I can ship. I am planning on holding onto the alternator and the cluster. Engine and transmission are good (bit of a boost leak...
  3. J

Battery charge draining down after sitting about 8 hours

I wouldn't be so sure you have a problem. Battery voltage is always going to be higher right after you disconnect the charger. After charging, let the car sit for a day. Then check the voltage. If it is 12.4 or above no problems. If below 12.4 there is probably an issue.
  4. J

1996 B4 sedan for sale 1K$

Could you pm me your email, and I'll send them to you. I don't have a cell phone, and have not figured out how to put them on this forum.
  5. J

Ok, I'm parking it in the woods for parts due to lack of interest.
  6. J

Tire recommendation

I also run the defenders in 185/65r14 on my other B4 and they last a long time as well. I do prefer the handling of the 195/60r14 original size.
  7. J

Tire recommendation

I had General Altimax tires on my silver car when I bought it, and they lasted a long time. I now have the same Hankook tires you are talking about and they don't last as long. The hankooks are low rolling resistance so they will save some fuel compared to the Generals.
  8. J

I found it 3 years ago at a local (Binghamton, NY) pick n pull. Honestly, there are probably only a dozen or so sitting at junkyards around the country. You could do a search on car-part. com and call all the junkyards that have 96 and 97 TDI Passats.
  9. J

I could email you, but I don't have a cell phone.
  10. J

I have taken some pictures, if anyone is interested I can email them. I don't know how to post pictures on this forum. I went through the sliders and cleaned up the bracket on the rear brakes yesterday. We are driving the car 3 days a week now and it's running well. We are slowly catching up...
  11. J

1997 passat smoke

I am pretty sure the glow plugs continue to heat once the engine is running until it is up to a certain temperature to reduce smoke. That is a good point on the timing, I should probably check timing on my silver car though just to make sure it is ok.
  12. J

1997 passat smoke

Have you checked the glow plug system? It's easy to check the resistance of each glow plug and then check that you are getting power to the tips of the harness. This reduces smoke in the first couple of minutes. I would just start driving after idling for 20 sec or so. All of the ones I have...
  13. J

Loss of power with no CEL light?

I would try a new high quality N75. If you haven't replaced it in 5 years it is at least dirty inside. I also had a limp mode that was a blocked vacuum line going to N75, so replacing that hose solved the problem. I'd blow through them all to check. Check that waste gate operates freely...
  14. J

1997 passat smoke

A lot of these smoke a bit for the first minute or two after startup. It helps to have new glow plugs, verify that they are getting power, etc.
  15. J

We just put a new cluster in it which works great, and tried the wipers for 5 minutes and no issues. We will continue to drive it for now and see how it does. All 4 tires are good and it will come with at least 2 snow tires with good tread on factory b4 Passat steel wheels. Front wheel...