Recent content by jcrews

1. jcrews

Car dies at idle after getting to operating temp

Typical of disabled EGR in a tuned map. 440 is normal for no EGR. 019 should be about 0.68, 4.5V. Sometimes 0 will be present in one or both, cycling the ignition will re-run the self-test. The engine doesn't need to be started. Please post a CSV log of groups 001,003 from start up to the...
  2. jcrews

Electrical headache from hell...

I'd like to throw it on the bench, if I may. You could pull it apart yourself and visually inspect for cracked solder joints. A microscope works best, but a good eye, bright light, and decent loupe is often sufficient. It may be repairable if it's a mechanical or simple-ish monolithic component...
  3. jcrews

Please provide some more info: 003 mass air flow (should be 280ish) 019 start/stop voltages Are you sure the engine sync is correct (lock tools used)? If the injectors were never serviced, I'd pull them and look for poor spray, leakage, etc. These injectors are basic 2 spring Bosch DI...
  4. jcrews

Electrical headache from hell...

Thanks for posting your solution. Do you have the old unit by any chance?
  5. jcrews

ALH Low Power - NOT limp mode

Did you check measurement groups 008,9 for torque limit requests? Also check 02 auto box for ratio sanity and/or perform a driving test.
  6. jcrews

Have a look at basic settings 000.2. It should be around 50-60, even cold. That it starts to stumble as it warms up indicates the timing is probably too late. Is there a change between early/late in basic settings, channel 04?
  7. jcrews

Tech tip: G28 troubleshooting

NB: This applies to ALH. BEW has the same pickup, but a different waveform, and I haven't checked to see if its controller has any active monitors for this circuit. If I get a chance to test a BEW, I will update with waveform and self-diagnosis information. Short version: * Symptoms: Car...
  8. jcrews

losing coolant.

Have you looked under the crankshaft sprocket or belt cover recently? The W/P may be leaking.
  9. jcrews

Glow plug CEL nightmare

Remove the air filter, peel up the hood to rain tray seal, and open the wire harness conduit. Remove the glow plug bridge connector and disconnect it. Attach your meter to B- and one of the blades inside. Observe the resistance (zero the meter first). The resistance should be relatively low...
  10. jcrews

mk4 Jetta Tail light issues.... anybody else have experience?

Incorrect. Dielectric grease is an insulator and is only suitable as a connector gasket lubricant or anti-arc high tension wire boot coating. It should never be applied directly to terminals and will just make a mess.
  11. jcrews

You don't have one of those. There's a comfort module, but it doesn't have any connection to main lighting. Dielectric grease is not going to help. Have you actually checked end-to-end ground continuity on both sides with an ohmmeter?
  12. jcrews

B6 LED,s

Hmmm I don't know why, but I was thinking about the front end that day. See section 1 of the MOT for private passenger cars. As long as 50% of the lamp illuminates, it is a pass. If you do want to fix them, I wouldn't use any counterfeit parts. My experience with them is that they are junk...
  13. jcrews

Check for an open ground or loose nut. Pop the carpet off at the left side, and you'll see a ground point on the body panel below the pillar (the rear glass frame). Use an ohmmeter to check resistance from the light bulb holder to that location (brown wire).
  14. jcrews

Radio buttons light not work

Is it an aftermarket radio?
  15. jcrews

B6 LED,s

What LEDs? As far as I know the B6 Passat doesn't have any. Aftermaket? You should just disconnect them, and you'll pass MOT. The main headlamp housings have the required marker lamps next to the dipped beam.