Recent content by jajohn

1. jajohn

200,000 mile club... roll call!

03 Golf, 250k+ I'm currently at 254k on my 03 Golf TDI, still plenty of performance with Upsolute chip and PP520 injectors. I put 20k a year on it until I essentially parked it a couple of years back, now it's more like 2-3k a year as a backup car.
  2. jajohn

N75 buzzing even after replacement?

My 03 Golf with 240k miles started getting a buzzing noise persisting under the hood for a few seconds after shutting off the engine. I tracked it down to the N75 valve, with the hood open I could actually hear it hum and feel it vibrating. So I got a new one and replaced it. But even the new...
  3. jajohn

Trunk sometimes won't open

Yes, or at least that's part of it. The harness I bought off of eBay came as a two part harness, the part number was 1K5 971 147 A / 1K5 972 175 A. I only used the main part that is in the trunk lid and connects to the other part inside the quarter panel, I don't know which part number that was.
  4. jajohn

My apologies to rix337 for your pain, I'm a day too late for you with my update because I was waiting to be sure it worked. But yes, the wiring harness from the trunk to the trunk lid also fixed my original problem, I've had it in and working for over two weeks now. Note that mine never threw a...
  5. jajohn

Update: After a couple of trunk failures since the last post, while it was failing last night I was able to isolate the problem to the wiring. If I held the wiring harness from the body to the trunk at certain angles I could reproduce the problem. Unfortunately I reproduced it so well that now...
  6. jajohn

It's been working for a couple of days now, I'll keep monitoring it. Maybe I'll get lucky and there's just a break in period on a new latch :) I hate feeling like I have to disassemble a new latch to adjust spring pressure, but I'll try it if I have to. I've been told that a couple more...
  7. jajohn

...of course, a couple of hours after I posted the last message, my wife texts me and says 'The trunk won't open!' What's next?
  8. jajohn

Update: I had already ordered a new trunk latch from 1stvwparts.com for $63 shipped when James responded to my last post. It came in on Saturday and I installed it. At the moment it's Wednesday and it's still working fine.
  9. jajohn

I replaced the trunk shocks a few months ago, so they're in good shape. The disconnect mechanism doesn't operate at all, there is no click. When attempting to open the trunk from the key fob, the lights flash, but there is no sound, and also no sound when attempting to open it from the door...
  10. jajohn

Hi all, We've started having an intermittent problem on our '10 Jetta TDI in the last month or so, where the trunk won't open from the keyfob or the door. When this is happening the only way to open it is to crawl through the back seat and unlatch it from the inside. Come back a few hours or a...
  11. jajohn

No fuel pickup when under 1/4 tank

And now the final update, I hope. I took the car to my local VW dealership, gave them the part, and asked them to replace it for me. The labor charge ended up being $89 (cheaper than the specialized tool I bought!). The mechanic said he also had a very difficult time removing the ring, partly...
  12. jajohn

Getting codes read in RDU area

If all that is needed is to read the code, any auto parts store should be able to do that. Even if all they can pull is the number, you can look up the meaning online or on the forum.
  13. jajohn

I am actually thinking about cutting it off (chisel or Dremel), I haven't quite convinced myself that it's worth it yet... I'll have to think more about that option.
  14. jajohn

Finally, an update, although not a good one. For $95, I purchased this tool for the retaining ring. http://www.toolsource.com/fuel-sender-wrench-audi-p-114800.html It seemed to fit OK, not great, but certainly much better than the '2x4 and hammer' method (ie, I think it is the proper tool as...
  15. jajohn

A good point now that you mention it, firehawk. My initial searches indicated the tool was around $200+, but after some further searching I found some places where it looks like I can get it for under $100. For that price it's worth picking one up myself. There are a couple of different...