Recent content by jacaster

1. J

new wheels and tires, now what pressure?

Start with a least 36 psi as S03s don't do well with low pressures...could go as high as 42 psi, a lot depends on the normal load carried and the road conditions she drives. Never run S03s at low air pressures...
  2. J

Tire choices

GotDiesel, If you are a "mellow Fellow" type driver then there is nothing wrong with those tires... make sure you match up the weight and speed ratings properly and enjoy.
  3. J

Tire choices

WVWSP61, You will have more rolling resistance with the RE950s than with the MXV4+s and if you rarely drive much in the rain it wouldn't make since to change tires. You will find that the MXV4+ tend to hydroplane so you must be careful in that regard but I don't think you need to concern...
  4. J

shiny new JettaTDI wagon....winter handling???

O.K. Lets see now which is cheaper, a good set of snow tires or "body work"? New Hampshire without snow tires...sort of like sky diving with a cheap parachute.
  5. J

Tire choices

You have got to take those surveys with a grain of salt... consider what they are comparing to and where they live and how they drive. Most of the folks who say they are "fast and aggressive" haven't a clue. If you read the reviews of all the tires you will actually find folks saying that a tire...
  6. J

Question about VW Eurovan?

whtghst, I suggest you drive to your nearest Saab dealer and test drive a Saab 95 wagon, really you don't want a minivan, they all handle like a hog on ice! The current incentives are huge and the cars are SAFE, something no minivan can honestly claim.
  7. J

After market wheels/tires

Ron, I believe that 205/55-16s and light 16" wheels are the best compromise between mileage and handling for the A4 chassis cars and the current fad for 17-18" wheels is just that, a fad based on the look of race cars who's reason for the large dia. wheels is to fit very large brake rotors...
  8. J

After market wheels/tires

If you are determined to get 17" wheels you just might consider going with 205/50-17 tires instead of 225/45-17s... considerably less rolling resistance with very little difference in handling. The tire construction and compound is far more important than the size of the tire if your concern is...
  9. J

Upper strut bar installed :)

On the A4 models you just replace the one bushing on the A-arm...you will like the results.
  10. J

Upper strut bar installed :)

Sounds like you are about ready for the next easy step... install a good A-arm bushing set... go here for info. http://www.autotech.com/suspbush.htm By-the-way you will never get your car as tight as you want untill you install a roll cage...
  11. J

18 Inch Wheels

You will gain nothing but a flatter wallet from 18" wheels. Is this car just for looks? Are you going to mount it on a pedestal in your front yard for everybody to look at or are your going to drive it? The only reason you see 18s on race cars is to clear their huge brakes... I much prefer 16s...
  12. J

GM Duramax --- I can't believe how QUIET they are!

Re: GM Duramax --- I can\'t believe how QUIET they are! This is just an oldie but goodie...you just can't do this kind of stuff with the V-8s without pyrotechnics. http://www.PerformanceDiesel.net/
  13. J

OVERSTEER!

You will lose some of the oversteer with a proper 4-wheel alignment job... I suspect rear toe is not quite right.
  14. J

7 inch rim too wide for 195 tires?

Ronal is an OEM supplier to VW and will not require any hub-centric adapters of any sort... very high quality wheels, not the lightest, but very strong. http://www.ronalusa.com/
  15. J

goin down the road feelin bad....

MrMetal In your previous post you mentioned cop issues...well Krispy Kremes are cops favorite donut...