Recent content by J.P.

1. J.P.

6 speed shifter adjustment, rebuild parts options?

Worked on the shifter today. It was an adjustment issue, with a bit of worn parts thrown in for good measure. The procedure in the video improved it dramatically. Shifts are much better, however the ball is pretty worn and there still is slop in the shifting. Still on the hunt for a...
  2. J.P.

Wtb vag-tacho software

Thanks both of you! I typo'd his user name when I did a search :-(
  3. J.P.

Found a decent video from JHM describing the adjustment procedure here: . It is outlining the "hang up" I'm experiencing. Anyone have a source for the pivot ball? ECS says they won't have pivot balls in stock until some time in May, everyone else says it is a discontinued part (which makes...
  4. J.P.

Wtb vag-tacho software

Willing to share where to find it and how it worked out for you?
  5. J.P.

My 6 speed shifter tends to "catch" going into 2nd. The best way I can describe it is when I'm shifting into 2nd from 1st or 3rd, when the lever gets to neutral, it moves a little to the left towards the reverse position and gets hung up. It won't continue down into 2nd unless I physically...
  6. J.P.

Another 5 spd, BS deleted vibrating b5.5

For what it is worth, I have a BSM deleted b5.5 with a 6spd conversion. I bought it converted and it came with a single mass flywheel in it. Coming from an A4 ALH I considered the car very raspy especially from 1400-2100 rpm. Bad enough that I was picking shift points to keep the engine...
  7. J.P.

Show what you tow!

OK. I think I have that covered well. I designed a hitch out of square tube and angle iron that uses all the stock mounting points for the rear bumper shocks (3 big bolts with 2 contact points each on both sides). Matt Whitbread did the welding, and milled the bumper shocks to allow them to...
  8. J.P.

Show what you tow!

I will 2nd the problems with scotch locks. My b5.5 has them and my left turn blinker will blink 5x speed half the time (which probably means the trailer is not lighting up.). Sometimes it changes from regular to fast and back while I'm sitting waiting to make a left turn. Unnerving.....
  9. J.P.

Show what you tow!

Good one! I'm sure they are metric over there :) This trailer is for tall horses as my daughter's horse is big. I'm not sure how I would feel about towing 2 big horses in there behind the b5.5. What would your max be for towing with a b5.5 equipped with a 6 spd?
  10. J.P.

How to upload photos in Xenforo and use them in your posts

Thank you for this. I have to copy the "image BB code" and PASTE IT INTO THE BODY OF MY REPLY. if I use the little "insert image" icon on the menu bar at the top of each post, and paste the same "image BB code" in the dialogue box it won't work. It tells me "something went wrong" and won't...
  11. J.P.

Show what you tow!

Here's what I've towed. This is a Brenderup horse trailer and probably weighed 3,500lbs loaded for this trip. I bought it with a rotted out floor and rebuilt it. The Brenderup is a euro design, brought to the states for a while, but no longer. It has radial tires, shock absorbers on all 4...
  12. J.P.s Media

J.P.s Media

13. IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

B5.5v towing Brenderup Baron HB
  14. J.P.

Show what you tow!

HA! I've never heard of an RCO tune! That is mighty impressive. RCO would probably be good for me, as is too much fun to accelerate with the tunes on my cars. My fuel economy numbers confirm that windage is more significant than weight. Towing a utility trailer with my ALH, economy went...
  15. J.P.

Show what you tow!

Oilhammer, when you towed your camper trailer with the golf, did you track fuel economy? I'm curious what the windage did to fuel economy, and if you had to tow in 4th gear. JP