Recent content by IndigoBlueWagon

1. I

MKIII TDI Reliability

I was thinking this morning about how folks here don't think a 200K mile + A3 isn't necessarily a good daily driver, where we have two A4s in my family with well over 400K miles that are still excellent dailies. They are as reliable as any 3-5 year old car, maybe more reliable. And FWIW, my B4...
  2. I

2014 Sport Wagon 19 inch wheels? any one have advice

If you get the right size tires speedo will be accurate. I have a co-worker with a Jetta with 19s on it and they ride remarkably well. However, I wouldn't do it. FE will suffer for sure.
  3. I

MKIII TDI Reliability

This is what I've concluded about my own B4. If you don't consider it as a serious daily driver it's a fun car to own and drive. I just had replace a broken MAF wire, age got to the harness. That kind of thing will just keep happening.
  4. I

MKIII TDI Reliability

The AHU engine in the MKIIIs and 1.9s in later cars don't share many parts. And quite a few parts have gone obsolete. Turbos are still out there, but hard to find, Injection pumps are gone, many of the coolant hoses are NLA, suspension parts are getting limited in availability and some are gone...
  5. I

U.S. Comeback?

Actually he is, in a way. He's taken advantage of significant tax breaks and incentives over the years that have affected his production costs. And for early years of production customers received a $7,500 federal rebate, along with rebates or credits from a number of states. So early adopters...
  6. I

Suspension upgrades

My favorite is Koni Special Actives. If you want to spend less, the OE Sachs dampers work well.
  7. I

U.S. Comeback?

That article is probably correct, and there are a lot of reasons why adoption has accelerated. The extent that we're connected as a culture is a big part of it. Think of how long it would have taken to have (a) heard of; (b) seen and used; (c) purchased; and (d) had installed (along with the...
  8. I

How to evaluate different tunes? Kerma, Malone?

Yes, I am. All my TDIs and my BMW are tuned by him. He used to tune a lot at GTGs, and I've had most, if not all, of my tunes done in person by him.
  9. I

///// Best Glow Plugs ? /////

Beru was original equipment on ALHs, FWIW. I'd go with those or Bosch. Not sure why, but glow plugs last a really long time in my TDIs.
  10. I

Suspension upgrades

What people mention here: Good dampers and tires will make a world of difference. Fresh control arm and rear axle bushings would help, too, if they're worn (and they probably are).
  11. I

U.S. Comeback?

I said it was irrelevant because I don't think you can compare the transition from land line to cell phone to transition from ICE to EV. Telecommunications purchases are a much smaller portion of any household's budget, and I don't think anyone ever has had the romantic attachment to a land line...
  12. I

$1000 bolt a VW dealer is wanting to charge me

;) I think every MKIV TDI I've ever owned has this fix.
  13. I

$1000 bolt a VW dealer is wanting to charge me

They're not charging you $1K for a bolt. I bet it's the bolt and captive nut that attaches the control arm to the subframe. And yes, the car is unsafe to drive if you don't have the control arm attached. However, there are ways to fix the problem that avoids replacing or modifying the subframe...
  14. I

U.S. Comeback?

That's a nice story, but irrelevant. There are all kinds of examples of people's adoption of new things, including technology. Fax machines, ovenight mail, cable television, jet airline travel...one could go on. Whether or not people switch to EVs depends on many things that we've discussed...
  15. I

TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

I assume this is sarcasm. I took my 335d for state inspection this morning, it passed, didn't run away or catch fire.