Recent content by houstondriver

1. H

Crappy tires

I did the exact same thing, except at 36,000 miles. Its like a completely new car. The OEM Contis were never very good as far as I was concerned. They seemed like General tires on an old Sable I once had (I think Continental actually makes General now). The Exaltos aren't the best when turning...
  2. H

Power Service Diesel Kleen recalled?

No problems with the plastic bottle disolving? Its a different type of plastic than the PS bottle.
  3. H

Power Service Diesel Kleen recalled?

Don't even try to fill directly from that jug :eek: I have a cheap $0.50 funnel and just fill an empty beer bottle with what I need. The beer bottle works great and I just throw it away afterwards (we unfortunately don't have recycling in my area). Granted, I do this after filling up, but I...
  4. H

Texas TDI Registration

I ended up calling both Austin and the county tax office. Austin told me I needed to get it changed by sending my title to the county tax office and that there were different fees for diesel over gas. I spoke with the county office and they said no fee differences, and that they don't have any...
  5. H

Texas TDI Registration

Anyone who has their TDI registered in Texas, what fuel type is indicated on your vehicle registration renewal notice? Diesel or gas? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but when I purchased the car new the registration then said diesel, but the renewal indicates gas as the fuel type...
  6. H

Texas TDI Registration

mtnsw-ML-1150023-ML- Posted in the wrong forum section
  7. H

fuel prices!

Last week in Houston diesel jumped $0.75 per gallon overnight on Wednesday from about $2.69 to $3.45. Its now down to about $3.20 at one place with most at $3.29. Regular unleaded is as cheap as $2.69, though most places are $2.89. Diesel isn't much of an advantage at this point.
  8. H

New Passat TDI problems? Should I buy one?

It my case, its usually been when I needed to merge into traffic on a dime from a dead stop because its the only type of chance I get. Some of our freeway construction here has resulted in these no-acceleration lane merges, meaning you wait next to the lane until you think you have found an...
  9. H

VWOA CS Oil Change Warranty Record

While I've currently been having my oil changed at the dealer, I've learned that anyone changing oil, whether it be at a dealer or a quick lube, is irritated that they are doing that instead of "real" work. Its usually one of the low-end mechanic jobs. So either you get the newbies who are...
  10. H

I solved the dangerous hesitation issue!!

The guy may very well have had a problem with the hesitation his car exhibited. To each their own. I think there was more to the whole trade for the Maxima than that though. It looks like he changed his mind on the whole TDI and fuel efficiency experience and needed an excuse. A Maxima...
  11. H

VWOA CS Oil Change Warranty Record

Then its all in the family with VW's recent bribes to union officials, etc. These are car dealers we are talking about, remember. Just one step up from used car salesmen, if that
  12. H

The Maxima can't get more than low 20's on average with mixed driving. Not really the next best choice for a fuel efficient car after the TDI.
  13. H

His use of the word "solved" was clearly in the relative sense.... His resolution seems a bit drastic to me. I kind of thought that was what test drives are for.
  14. H

The Maxima has more torque, 255 lb-ft vs. 247 lb-ft for the Passat TDI. All the torque in the world doesn't make up for the hesitation issue, if it really bothers someone. If you aren't moving when you need to, you don't have any useable torque.
  15. H

Towing My B5?

Get a trailer to put the car on, all four wheels, that way you avoid any potential towing issues. The motorhome can certainly handle that. This type: http://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=autotransport