Recent content by Houpty GT

1. Houpty GT

MKIII TDI Reliability

That's awesome! It was hard to find an MK3 that looked that nice 10 years ago. For respect, a creampuff MK3 wins out over the MK4. Virginia is the line for the threat from rust because of road salt. If it was rust free, I would buy it once the following points are negotiated. What is that...
  2. Houpty GT

1Z/AHU Billet CCV drain plates, shift knobs, and custom machining

Just use a rubber Fernco fitting from the hardware store. I believe it is 2" x 1-1/2". Trim the end of the tube and slide it on. The rubber also flexes to prevent future breaks. Your suggestion would be better suited as a cast part, not machining.
  3. Houpty GT

WTB MK4 TDI manual

PM sent. I am not trying to steal his WTB thread. Free bump, right? I feel like it's taking me forever. I just have not been getting the time to clean it up, change coolant o-rings and sway bar bushings. etc.
  4. Houpty GT

What Kind Of Oetiker Clamps Are These?

Engine Coolant Hose Set, 1Z AHU Silicone (Black) – Cascade German Parts
  5. Houpty GT

Timming belt wander 1.9AHU/1Z

Could be a defect in the belt. Put a mark on the timing belt at the low or high spot and see if the mark stays in the pattern of being high or low. The only adjustment I know is that the mount for the injection pump can be tilted, slightly changing the tilt on the pump gear.
  6. Houpty GT

Corrado TDI Project: Lightweight Daily Driver

I have been having injection pump headaches for a while. The replacement fuel pump with the 114k miles on it was a VW remanufactured unit with the X in the part number. Inside, it looked brand new. The pump lasted about 1,500 miles before I broke the spider gear into 4 pieces. The case...
  7. Houpty GT

97 Jetta, need some help.

Move an injector line so it points in the air. Hook up a spare injector if you have one otherwise you need to pull one. Bleed the line and crank the car. You should see it produce nice spray. If you want to know the vane pump/case pressure, you will need to make a special banjo fitting on the...
  8. Houpty GT

00550 Loud Engine-Advanced Timing

I wanted to add a few things to this thread for reference, since I found it helpful. I was having problems with a loud engine after installing a used pump. The timing set well initially but the engine sounded loud in the 2,000 RPM range. After driving 3 hours on the interstate, I noticed the...
  9. Houpty GT

2022 TDIfest Discussion Thread

The Jetta factory in Mexico, or the Golf factory in Brazil.
  10. Houpty GT

It happens to all of us. There was one time I had to take a skateboard to the autoparts store because all 3 cars were disabled and even my bicycle broke when I tried to use it.
  11. Houpty GT

Well, the passenger tire is where the crank nose is located. I have never seen this since it is rare on the AHU/1Z engines but have heard it does happen. Something to try is, you can get someone to help you, then one person checks the bolt on the crank pulley, and another uses a screwdriver...
  12. Houpty GT

Are you also checking VW specific codes or only generic OBD2 codes? It's not a good idea to have the check engine light on all the time if you have an old car that you want to reliably use. Use a screwdriver with the handle on your ear or a length of tube to pinpoint the source of mechanical...
  13. Houpty GT

96 TDI Need Help

Any codes in the ECU? Are there air bubble in the fuel lines, especially after sitting? How old are the pump seals? Check all the cruise control inputs on VCDS like Abacus said. 2 switches for the brake, one for the clutch, and one for each of the control stalk switches and buttons. Use...
  14. Houpty GT

Sounds like some issue with the pump or even multiple issues together. How many miles on the engine and pump? Do a quick check for split wires and corroded connectors. around the pump and other engine wiring. Check engine light? Any codes in the computer? Replace that N109 relay. You...
  15. Houpty GT

Help, AHU injection timing issue

That is going to retard the injection timing. Moving the gear clockwise will move the pump advanced in the timing belt cycle. This will have the same effect as moving the injection pump housing to the rear of the car. It's easy to get mixed up because they are opposite of one another.