Recent content by hey_allen

1. H

What did you do to your MKIV today?

I had that column switch connector wiggle it's way partially apart, and fixed it by pushing it back together. I ended up adding a zip tie to secure it after finding that issue.
  2. H

I bought a tube of Sachs 4200 080 050 clutch grease for my various manual trans cars. It seems to be heavier than many bearing greases, thick and tacky. It's definitely a less is more when applying to the input shaft splines though. Too much and it'll sling out onto the friction surfaces.
  3. H

I've heard good things of the Kufatek harnesses, but don't have any personal experience with them. https://www.kufatec.com/en/comfort-retrofits/seat-heating-adjustment/seat-heating-cable-set-for-vw-audi-seat-skoda-30000 I'd been intending to fabricate my own harness, but more and more am...
  4. H

If you're talking about this stuff: D-174-003-M2, I found a search result showing it as an alternate part number for an Elring Klinger product. https://www.germanautosupply.com/ELRINGKLINGER/30/D-174-003-M2
  5. H

I'm pretty sure it's because this clutch set is intended to be installed as a loaded set, instead of mounting the pressure plate after the flywheel and disc. The missing finger would have been almost completely a cutaway for the bolt and driver clearance hole.
  6. H

Passenger side firewall grommet for air suspension

I did, but only the rear shocks. I was lazy about it at the time, the lines are loosely fitted inside the fender liners and the bumper cover. I'm planning to rework the lines this summer, bringing them inside the trunk, as well as adding a pressure switch to monitor for leakage.
  7. H

Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

https://reederdistributors.com/blog/laws-surrounding-off-road-diesel
  8. H

I had a stock turbo rebuilt when I blew a mine, but if I'd been planning on doing it instead of just hurrying to get my car back on the road, I'd probably have gone for an upgrade to a vnt-17.
  9. H

Just FYI, you probably already know about it, but you can make the catch tabs a bit more pliable by making the cross section thinner, or spread the load over a longer area. In this case, you might reduce the height of the beveled reinforcement on the back of the cap, or even potentially recess...
  10. H

After all the work I did on Friday, replacing my coolant seals and the heater core hose connector, I was alarmed to find the car dripping coolant behind the engine today, which I noticed just before it dumped half a gallon of coolant while I was visiting the dealer to pick up some seals. I just...
  11. H

The hack was in taking a rectangular molded (still circular cross section...) 0-ring and turning it into a "round" one while at the same time shortening it. I also don't know just what that random o-ring was made of, and whether it's coolant compatible, but it should work for a night...
  12. H

I just tore into mine to replace the coolant bypass pipe seal (at the thermostat housing.) What a pile of annoyance! Working in a rental bay auto hobby shop, due to being on the road, away from my own garage. I barely started working on it, and bumped the little port off the side of the upper...
  13. H

Why do You Still Have Your MK4 TDI?

Mine just keeps going... I'm casually hunting for a wagon, but now out in the rural southwest, with few VW of any sort around, much less ALH powered ones!
  14. H

I fixed the glow plug harness on mine, and it apparently decided that I needed to pay it more attention... I came out to drive to when today and found a lie coolant wasn't, and a leak from the front of the engine bay. It appears to be the pipe from the thermostat housing, so possibly the...
  15. H

I started my car without glow plugs in single digit temperatures... It wasn't intentional! It turns out the connector that the earlier cars (AHU?) used, and that I used when replacing my glow plug harness had issues with positive retention of the male terminals and the first truly cold start...