Recent content by hawleyrw

1. hawleyrw

6spd Manual question

This is my 2nd tdi....the first was a 2000 golf - DRASTICALLY different feel between the two, so VW's tdi has changed a lot in the years. Some for the better, some not. Both are manual shift. The Golf was more like an old-time diesel - smells like a bus, can regularly take off in 2nd, let the...
  2. hawleyrw

2012 TDI Mileage Question

My 2012 tdi manual has 39k on it. all but winter I get average about 40 around town. If I run strictly highway, I average 45+ depending on the direction I'm going (how wind affects the mpg). I tend to get higher mpg going N/S vs E/W. I think mine's about average. The computer is pretty close...
  3. hawleyrw

Window roll down with key fob

The tear drop wipe is the only thing I couldn't get to work. All others work fine. I also adjusted the computed/vs actual mileage at the end of a tank of fuel. helped - oh and I made it so when I unlock the drivers door, it unlocks all doors.
  4. hawleyrw

MPG - Computer vs Actual

I did have to adjust mine some to make the actual vs. calculated match (using the VAG-COM utility), it's a lot closer now. Overall, I'm still averaging just over 40, but that's everything I drive (it's my daily drive also). This weekend, got 47 on my way back home (AC on). it's even better in...
  5. hawleyrw

What did you do to your mk6 Jetta today?

Ok. New windshield today after shelling out $451. Got new Acoustic Shield glass. We'll see if this performs any different than OEM glass. Anyone have experience on this area?
  6. hawleyrw

....which is why I always try and park far away, near another object. ANYTHING to shield me from the carts. Don't always get to, but best effort. Bummer...
  7. hawleyrw

Got my estimate - doing it tomorrow - about $450 (cash). My ins deductible is $500, so gotta shell it out myself.... oh well. Cheers!
  8. hawleyrw

Crack in the windshield... arrggghhhh On my way to see my family in IN, big CRACK sound and a star in front of me at the top and a crack already started toward the passenger side....was a few inches long in just a few minutes Later on today, after it sat in the sun....about 12" long now...
  9. hawleyrw

Stalling with a manual transmission

Definitely not alone. Also been driving stick for many years, I stall the Jetta more than any other car I've had. I had a 2000 Golf tdi prior to this, and feels TOTALLY different, rather than lug will stall. Just about getting used to it. Do it about weekly, it seems. Cheers!
  10. hawleyrw

Is there a way to have the car not honk when locking doors?

VAG-COM mods I've completed: Convenience lane change: from 3 to 5 blinks before stop Unlock ALL doors when you unlock the drivers door Minor adjustment to the calculated average fuel reading (for accuracy) Allow the keyfob lock/hold and unlock/hold to raise and lower the windows and...
  11. hawleyrw

unfortunately, most dealers charge through the nose to make any vag-com changes. Some are decent and do it for cheap, or nothing. (the way it should be). Others just see the $$$.
  12. hawleyrw

629 miles first tank

I've done my own testing while driving through multiple tanks with my '12 Jetta. Realistically, 68mph is the best I've seen. Anything more and my mileage suffers, anything less and it's hard navigating the highways as everyone is constantly passing you (even in the slow lane). I can get...
  13. hawleyrw

I used Vag-Com to do mine - it can be done with kessy. I've done mine, but decided I didn't want to keep it that way, so turned it back on.
  14. hawleyrw

"I Did Not Know That"

Dudes, I tried mine, car on, engine running. got out, trunk opens just fine using the normal button on the trunk lid.
  15. hawleyrw

"I Did Not Know That"

I'll check again tonight.