Recent content by Grigg3

1. G

Aftermarket fuel filter install

I do think the Nicknane should be setup same as OEM filter was. But not as you just described… I’m struggling to explain it any differently or better than I already have. Perhaps look at my original pictures and your original setup as well. Pictures being worth so many more words and all.
  2. G

I disagree that you agree with me ;) two hoses on the center of the filter is not what I suggested. look at your original filter head and how the original lines were. Only one line is in the center of the filter, the clean fuel going to feed the engine. The other two lines attach to the...
  3. G

Brew1, your description of the install sounds good except one detail. First understand that one of the fuel lines from filter to the engine is a supply line, clean fuel. The other line from engine to filter is a return line, this fuel should be refiltered. Note how the original filter head had...
  4. G

I don't believe you'll get the aftermarket filter tucked in closer enough (if any) to solve the hose length issue. Without either the filter hitting the hood or interference on the bottom end it pretty much has to be where it is. I looked at all sorts of options when installing mine and I ran...
  5. G

The 8mm diesel hose I used https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fuel-hose-8mm-meter-n2035915-16121180409-p-3077.html Obviously you'll need an 8mm nipple on the new filter.
  6. G

The stock filter housing on mine does have 3 mounting points to the engine mount casting. One is very low and center, the two others are high and easy to see. Even with filters in same location The one hose is short because the new banjo nipples do not reach as far from center of the filter as...
  7. G

Happy to help, Motor mount numbers: XXX ZFH15B60CG/ 5Q0 199 262 DF 06.02.2015 Sorry I didn't mention in our earlier emails about the bracket not fitting, I hadn't gotten to that step. Then I realized how nice the factory filter housing would work as a bracket and happily moved in that...
  8. G

It was some gasket material I’ve had on the shelf for many years. You could use 2 layers of 1/16” fiber gasket material from the auto parts store of 1/8” cork isn’t available, or even some inner tube or rubber sheet. Contact adhesive worked well for me to attach it.
  9. G

You're welcome. Why 2 micron and not 1? I thought 2 would still be plenty more than adequate. Primarily though the CAT filter is exceptionally easy to get, available at any truck stop among other places. Also I use them in other applications, so more convenient to buy by the case and stick...
  10. G

A few MPG better on the yearly average, right at 50 MPG. Best MPG is on long trips with 55 MPG per tank easily and 59.5 is best tank so far. I'm sure it'd do better if I drove even more sensibly (less fun). MPG improvement and savings on fuel with the exhaust work and tune won't cover that...
  11. G

Tried looking again for info on the stock fuel filter with no luck, someone thinks 10 micron (at what efficiency?) but I couldn't verify. VW part number 5Q0127177 Anyone know the specs? The CAT 1R-0750 filter I am reasonably sure is 2 micron absolute. The CAT website is not real clear but...
  12. G

About 65K on it now. Stopped thinking about the warranty 30K miles ago and would have put this filter on even sooner. I feel starting early to help it last as long as possible should pay off a few hundred thousand miles later after any warranty I might have had is officially gone. So unless...
  13. G

Agreed, With several hundred thousand miles on various TDI's and other diesels water in the fuel hasn't been an issue in my experience.
  14. G

I'm not sure, couldn't find a real clear answer. However I suspect that the CAT filter is better at filtering out smaller particles than the stock VW filter, and if not then I feel quite certain it's no worse. In any case it's the filter I wanted to use for this car and I have the same filter...