Recent content by Graham Line

1. G

Almost pulled trigger '13 Golf TDI - Thoughts

Bought my '12 TDi new and had the timing belt etc done at 125K. Intake is now showing signs of deposits needing to be cleaned at 127K or so. These aren't flying off the lots like they did for a while and the dealer may be inclined to negotiate on it. We're in an emissions equipment required...
  2. G

Does Jetta mk6 gli air ride fit Jetta mk6 tdi?

The GLIs/later TDIs that I have owned had a ride that was significantly improved over the standard Jetta. Unless you need to vary the car's ride height for some reason or to compensate for heavy loads or trailering you won't improve the performance or comfort with airbags.
  3. G

U.S. Comeback?

Alcohol is a more reasonable choice in a warmer climate. You don't hear about it being used as a motor fuel in Argentina or Manitoba.
  4. G

Koni FSD strut failure

Had Koni yellows on a car several years back. Noticed an improvement in control and response but not a much harsher ride. FWIW.
  5. G

How hard can I drive?

I realize this thread has been running for a while, and maybe I missed the references... but ... my Golf barely gets warm on a 5.5 mile trip which means less than optimum combustion. Also, if I fill up at a brand name station near my son's house, I will generally calculate out 2 to 3 miles...
  6. G

Battery Replacement

Does your battery really need to be replaced? I live in a moderate climate and my '12 still has the original. At 90K service, dealer said it tested fine and passed up chance to sell me a new one.
  7. G

6MT, which gear for mountain grades?

Difference in fuel economy in a 6MT Golf can be a 10% loss at 80, rather than 75. The Passat is heavier but has better aero. Up long grades, I frequently drop the Golf down a gear. It depends how much I'm carrying in the car. Optimum seems to be around 1900-2000 rpm.
  8. G

What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

Fingers crossed Loaned it to SO while she gets her Corolla re-fendered, re-wheeled, and re-doored after an encounter with a bridge. I'm no more nervous than a cat in a water park. Making do with prehistoric Montero.
  9. G

Proper tires...

I pay particular attention load range numbers, all other things being equal. It's not uncommon for load ranges to vary widely for a single size of tire. If it is less than the OE spec, chances are the car is going to handle like it's running on gummi-worms.
  10. G

New VW owner experiencing questionable reliability: Is this normal?

Mine is also a '12, and I've seen the heater core problem (replaced it at 70K) and condensation in one tail light, which went away in spring and is being ignored for the time being. May have been related to a Wyoming thunderstorm that, I am not stretching anything, resulted in 30-foot...
  11. G

Rear Plate Screws Impossible to Remove

Try a NAPA store.
  12. G

Took the TDI To Dealership (loose exhaust?)

I have five dealerships within 50 miles. Only one where I would actually leave the car for work, and they have been great. Others are a mix of "don't care" and "we'll keep replacing parts until we find the problem." But I don't think the attitudes or the percentages are restricted to VW stores.
  13. G

Okay to Clamp Brake Lines?

Shop once clamped a brake line on my 4x4 while doing something. I forget what. Dove to one side under braking on the way home and I got a nice small adjustable wrench out of the deal. Never went back to the shop. They also had other issues. But clamping the line isn't nearly as big an issue...
  14. G

calling on all JSW gurus. clutch pedal setting

If there isn't an incline for miles, the Hill Assist would not come into operation. You have something else going on.
  15. G

calling on all JSW gurus. clutch pedal setting

Only time I have trouble with the hill holder is when I expect my other car to have one, which it does not. Just have to learn to move off briskly and not let the revs drop. Don't need to smoke the tires.