Recent content by goldandblack

1. G

Injection pump

TDI Injection Pump I have a TDI injection pump problem. I have a 1997 TDI Passat with 186,000+ miles. Problem started a year ago when it began to lose power. Took to in (not to VW) and they cleaned out the turbo and it ran like normal for about 6 months and it began to lose power. Just took it...
  2. G

Help ! Injector Pump Seal Leaks

Tony, I live in Evansville Indiana (on The Ohio River). I am going to check with some salvage yards to see if they have an injection pump. I also found a couple places in middle Indiana that could do a repair. I am not in a big hurry to get it fixed, just want to find the best deal and price...
  3. G

Tony, The injector pump is my problem. It is leaking, it looks to me, from the top seal. The garage that is looking at my problem got the $1500 price for a new injector pump in calling VW. I don't think I have injector problems. I took it in with the problem of loss of power, could not get over...
  4. G

Injector leak, 97 TDI Passat Just got the bad news that my TDI Passat injector needs to be replaced or new gaskets to replace the old ones. VW informs me a new injector will be $1500 + labor. So I am guessing I have a $2000-$2500 range problem. My 97 TDI has 187,214 miles on it and it has been...
  5. G

How can the TDI Turbo be checked to see if it is working ?

Thanks to all that replied to my problem. I have made copies and will try them all and hope it will clear up my power problem. You guys are great and I appreciate your time in replying.
  6. G

How can I check to see if the Turbo is working?

My 97 TDI Passat has this problem. It is running as if there is no Turbo. :( I can get up to only 70 MPH on the Interstate. It takes for ever to get it to 70 MPH. I have to floor board it in every gear to get it to speed. When I start it in first gear it starts ok and after a couple seconds it...
  7. G

How can the TDI Turbo be checked to see if it is working ?

My 97 TDI Passat has this problem. It is running as if there is no Turbo. :( I can get up to only 70 MPH on the Interstate. It takes for ever to get it to 70 MPH. I have to floor board it in every gear to get it to speed. When I start it in first gear it starts ok and after a couple seconds it...
  8. G

My TDI Passat Problem

Thanks sfierz and dieseldorf for your suggestions, I will try them. The air filter is clean. Thanks and I will post what I end up finding when I get it going normally again. It has been a great car and has 184, 507 miles on it. Bob
  9. G

My TDI Passat Problem

About a year ago I took my 97 TDI Passat in because it had lost its pep, slow acceleration and top speed only 70 mph. They cleaned the carbon that had built up and it was peppy once again. They told me take it out once in awhile and rev it up on the highway and it should clean the carbon out...
  10. G

Does the Diesel pump have the Cetane rating on it ?

This is my question, how do I find out the cetane rating of diesel fuel ? My last fill up was at the Flying J truck stop. From what I have been reading the truck stop cetane rating is at the lowest limit 40 and a higher cetane rating can be had at other diesel stations but will cost more...
  11. G

Does the Diesel pump have the Cetane rating on it ?

I want to stop getting my diese fuel at the truck stop because of the low Cetane. I will pay more for a better grade fuel. I can I find the Cetane rating at the pump or do I have to inquire inside the station ? I live in Southern Indiana and does any one know what stations in this area has...
  12. G

soot build up in turbo

Ooops...The Passat has 181,000+ miles on it. I need to proof read before I post.
  13. G

soot build up in turbo

Soot build up in Turbo I got my car out of the Saturn shop and my major cost was labor in cleaning out the sooot in the turbo and replacing the plastic part in the cooling system....final cost $227. $28 for the plastic part with the hairline crack in it. The car drives like new. The 1997...
  14. G

soot build up in turbo

The TDI Passat is still in the shop. They found a hair line crack in a plastic part in the cooling system which is by the Turbo above the engine (center). They had to order the part and I could get the car tomorrow, Friday so I don't have the price for the repairs. When I get the car and...
  15. G

soot build up in turbo

My 1997 TDI Passat was getting very sluggish and was losing power. I replaced the air filter and fuel filter and it did not help. I took it (not to local VW) Saturn and they found a build up of soot in the turbocharger and they cleaned it out and the Passat has the power like new. I hope this...