Recent content by gmcjetpilot

1. gmcjetpilot

What Should Water Temp Be

What are you talking about? You mean hourly rate? Yeah the shop made money, did not lose, but mechanic did work cheap that day... Jim and Pat, Wolfsburg owners are real car guys, mechanics, take care of employees... most of their mechanics have been there for 10 yrs or more. Dealer lots of...
  2. gmcjetpilot

I would not say it is easy, even though I did not do it, I researched. I would say the thermostat on my 69 Camaro with 350 V8 is easy. (10 mins). It took a full time mechanic in a shop 5 hours.... It was not the most experienced guy in shop but had been with a VW dealer and then Wolfsburg for...
  3. gmcjetpilot

Well It is fixed, a month ago. I had Wolfsberg do it. Cost $500 all in parts and labor. They underbid. They bid it on 2.2 hours labor. It took 5 hours. They honored price. They are a fantastic Independent Shop. NOW water temps are 198F. My old norm temp was 192F. When the thermostat failed open...
  4. gmcjetpilot

Thermostat replacement

Thanks for the input. I scheduled the repair at Wolfsburg VW Audi Porsche independent shop. They are great, 12 yrs doing business with them. It will be under $500. So I decided to let them do it. They know TDI's and have done this job on many. They have experienced good Techs without the...
  5. gmcjetpilot

Thermostat replacement

THANKS.... So warm up is not bad with warm OAT, say 75F or higher. I have time to let it idle for 5 mins before heading out. It is up to or near 177F in a few miles or 5 more mins.... However SUMMER is here with a vengeance. Today I did 80 miles, 40 out and 40 back with OAT ranging from 94F...
  6. gmcjetpilot

Thermostat replacement

So GLAD I read this before posting. I am facing a thermostat issue (but I am still going through the stages of denial). I use to read a solid 190-192F. Now I read 177-181F, with outside temps of 75F. I find it hard to believe this is an issue, but it is summer. This would not be good in cold...
  7. gmcjetpilot

Do any newer BCM/CECMs for the JSW allow LED interior lighting?

I already posted a similar question two days ago, but yours is more detailed. I have a few comments and questions for you. " do any newer JSWs allow LED lighting options? I've been spending the last 45 minutes sifting through threads on here. A 2012 JSW 2.5L is at the nearest junkyard...
  8. gmcjetpilot

Are you still driving your TDi?

Yep bought my 2010 at the end of 2011 as a CPO from dealer.... I got the VW bucks and mod. The 4 yr warranty expired in the last 12 months. I am never getting rid of the car. It still looks new but headliner is falling so that is a project. Have only 130K but engine only has 75K miles!!!! ***...
  9. gmcjetpilot

Forcibly entered the all-electric world

So you were forced.... Show me on the doll where the sales man touched you.... Did the man say he had candy, ice cream and a puppy in the van?
  10. gmcjetpilot

LED Headlights and CANBUS

So I put LED lights in my 2004 BMW Motorcycles and like them, I replaced the Low H7, High H3 and the two fog lights H3's. There is no CANBUS. On my 2010 JSW TDI I was thinking of replacing the headlight bulbs.... I don't recall model/PN of bulb, but I believe the low is H7. Not sure about...
  11. gmcjetpilot

I was never a professional mechanic but have been wrenching since I was 16yo on my cars. Funny thermostat reminds me of my parents. When I was young I fixed a many thermostats and would test the old one and new one. My MOM was pissed I was using her pan and food thermometer to do my test. She...
  12. gmcjetpilot

Thanks again. Appreciate your reassurance. The Bently manual is wrong. I'll get the AM part number.
  13. gmcjetpilot

Great comments.... 1) Went to my trusted independent VW Shop, Wolfsburg VW Audi Porsche Memphis. Talked to Jim one of two owners and experienced (decades) VW mechanic. He did not seem too concerned with my indicated Temp 175F. I have read other threads and normal summer is 190-200F (approx)...
  14. gmcjetpilot

WHAT ABOUT CHANGING THE TEEMP PROBE FIRST? There is something odd about what is going on. It seems to warm up normally but does not get to the 192F I have known as normal for years. Is 10F or 15F low bad if it Regens? I know Diesels need to be hot to run right.... and as far as inhibiting...
  15. gmcjetpilot

OK so the coolant pipe is metal or plastic. Is this the upgrade mentioned above. Cheers.