Recent content by geezer88

1. G

Diesel Generator for the end of the world

For survival in the future, watch Mel Gibson's series of "Road Warrior" movies. :D tom
  2. G

Towing Question

You need 10% -15% of the trailer gross weight on the tongue or you risk instability. Too light on the tongue and the trailer will wag the car in a most unwelcome manner. tom
  3. G

///// What are your MPGs WITH Performance Mods .... IF driving conservatively ? /////

I've got a stock, 2002 Jetta, auto transmission, stock size tires, 140K total miles, two adults, some baggage. On trips to Arizona from Oregon I get 40-44 mpg. 15 mile round trips to town for shopping drops to 30-34 mpg. tom
  4. G

Who’s going to Tesla after their current TDI?

To get to a mostly electric transportation system, the power grid needs major improvement. It will be interesting to see how well this transition is implemented. I bet the growth of electric cars will outstrip the grid expansion, causing major problems. In the USA I see no serious ideas for...
  5. G

kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

Thanks, I was hoping to hear that.
  6. G

kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

I bought a VW nav radio at the local Good Will store, without thinking about security codes. I don't have a VW, I just want to use it in my shop. I only paid $8 for it, so it is no big deal if it becomes a boat anchor. Is there a way to get the free-vds-vagtacho to talk directly to the radio...
  7. G

Whinning first gear in automatic transmition

Warmed up the TDI and checked differential and transmission levels. Both levels okay. Transmission oil was darker than expected, but no metal flakes visible. Diff oil was quite dark. Again, no visible flakes, but surprisingly dirty. Almost as dark as used diesel engine oil. I don't...
  8. G

Whinning first gear in automatic transmition

On the last trip to town, my 2002 Jetta TDI has started to whine noticeably in first gear only. More throttle, louder whine. pitch increases with speed until second gear and all sounds normal. This car has 140K on it, and I changed filter and oil in both transmission and differential at about...
  9. G

TDI Tractor?

To really know how well the motor would work in a tractor, you need to examine the torq vs rpm curve of the proposed engine. Older small tractor engines max out at 2000 to maybe 2600 rpm. My 70 year old Ford 8n has roughly 120 cubic inches and develops 25 hp at 2200rpm. Displacement is about...