Recent content by GCBUG00

1. G

Bad Dual Mass Flywheel?

Frank06, In fairness to discussions stating a balance value w/o noting the correction radius is like stating tighten to 65 LB. instead of 65 LB/FT. GCM is a pretty common balance reference. Gary
  2. G

5spd clutch/hydraulics question

They replaced it. Question, was it LEAKING or WEEPING brake fluid? If not leaking or weeping please have shop explain their criteria and discovery that it was "defective"? Hope you get problem fixed.
  3. G

Hard Shifting 03 New Beetle

Engine running, select 1st gear. Slowly bring clutch pedal up. How far does the clutch pedal come up before the engine starts to move the car? Pedal reserve travel, maybe 1 1/2" before engine starts to move car, good. Right off of the floor? Not good. 1st suspect air in hydro's. Any history...
  4. G

5spd clutch/hydraulics question

The hydraulics do not know that you are driving, engine RPM or gear being selected. They only know you applied a force to the pedal, master creates pressure, fluid is forced thru hose and slave cylinder pushes the release fork. A slave cylindesr biggest job, Do Not leak fluid or allow air to...
  5. G

Photoguy100, I cannot judge if clutch is fully releasing as I described in my post. Shifter doesn't look like it's shifting freely, she is putting some arm in in to make the shifts. I'm running Syncromesh for couple years now nothing bad to report. 1 car, 1 driver. Consider inspecting the...
  6. G

If you can get it in 1st SLOWLY bring up clutch pedal. How far does the pedal come up before the car starts to move? Right off of the floor, suspect air in hydro's. Comes up over 1 1/2" before car starts to move, don't suspect air in hydros. Difficult to get it into 1st and maybe other gears...
  7. G

clutch/crank gremlins? No fit on new clutch

This http://https://www.idparts.com/g60vr6-single-mass-flywheel-22-lb-p-996.html marked VF98200?
  8. G

If you can identify the actual manufacturer of each clutch and any etched on part numbers possibly a bit of mystery about the clutch could be figured out. Both Sachs and LuK put information on the cover facing the trans. I don't have any info on "Euro" vs US production. It's all mfgr part...
  9. G

That is exactly what doesn't work for comparing clutches. They must be bolted down on a FW with a full thickness disc then you can make a measurement of the spring tip height from the crank mounting surface if the FW's were different designs. Any chance those were self adjusting clutches?
  10. G

The system stack height is the possible interesting measurement. You cannot measure a clutch spring tip height on the bench uninstalled. If you could put the two systems together bolted up and create a measurement reference from the back of the FW where it bolts to the crank, now measure to the...
  11. G

Damaged AC fitting bolt hole

Just reading for curiosity. Genisis no clue if your details are correct but I'd follow your details cause it looks like you got it figured out. Lot's of been there done that type comments.
  12. G

Grinding when clutch is completely depressed.

Slave cylinders do not rely on an internal stop. The distance your slave cylinder travels is determined by the volume of fluid displaced from the master cylinder. Push on the pedal a little, short slave cylinder stroke, longer pedal travel = longer slave cylinder stroke. The one drawback about...
  13. G

Grinding when clutch is completely depressed.

Spacer will not shorten the slave cylinder stroke. If you want to rig up a temp fix make a pedal stop. That will reduce the total slave cylinder travel. Did it happen immediately after clutch install, or later? New flywheel too?
  14. G

Used Transmission Price

First possible, air in hydraulic system. Suggest open bleed screw bleeding. Pedal up. Open bleed screw. Pedal down slowly and fully to floor. Close bleed screw. Lift pedal fully up. Repeat, maybe 6 times. Other things are possible but air in hydro's means trans stays installed to fix.
  15. G

changed clutch and now car wont move

How about inspecting the shifter cables for actually putting trans in gear? And do you have the part number of the clutch system installed. As soon as you bolt the pressure plate, disc and flywheel together, the clutch is engaged, capable of transmitting torque to input shaft. Trick is to get...