Recent content by gbillman

1. G

Has Anyone Had TB Pulley Bolt Problems?

Sorry, about that, oilhammer. I should have been clearer. You were not the mechanic who installed either of the previous ones, but like you said, the guy who did it is MORE than competent, and has not had any failures either, in the past. Like I told you earlier, I'll get the bolt looked at by...
  2. G

Yes. That is the bolt. Oilhammer is my mechanic, and has the car right now. I'd be interested in finding out where you bought your parts from. Look for a PM. Thanks. OK, nevermind. Determined you cannot receive PMs. So we'll do it here. Where did you buy your parts from? We ought to determine...
  3. G

2001 Jetta TDI. I bought it at 65000 miles. Had first TB done before I bought it. Did second TB at 120,000, and 2000 miles later one of the TB pulley bolts broke, trashing the head. Found a head and rebuilt everything. Now, 20,000 miles later, THE SAME bolt (well, not EXCATLY the same bolt, but...
  4. G

2001 A4 TDI Engine 4sale

I have an ALH TDI engine out of a 2001 Jetta that has a trashed head. Another broken pulley bolt in the TB circuit. If anyone needs one to rebuild, or needs a core, drop me an offer. Thanks.
  5. G

Considering making Higher performance downpipes for B4/A3

6speed, how's the test piece? Did you and your welding buddy get around to getting it done this weekend? Not that I'm in a hurry, but oilhammer has my Passat in his shop, and it's becoming a fixture over there. Come to think of it, maybe if he keeps it longer, it'll be such a low mileage 96...
  6. G

Considering making Higher performance downpipes for B4/A3

Me, Me Oilhammer has already spoken for my green Passat TDI that is in his shop. Soon as you can get one made, the better. And he can even send you the flange from that one, since it's about all that is left attached to the engine! :D I'd also probably buy another one within the next few...
  7. G

Oilhammer (Brian) in St. Louis (mucho kudos)

Tomorrow's The Day!!! Grand opening of Rising Sun Automotive in Pacific, MO, just west of Eureka and Six Flags. http://www.risingsunautomotive.com/ Dropped my green 96 Passat TDI off with Brian this afternoon. One of his first jobs. Great feeling to be able to drop my car off and KNOW the...
  8. G

Oilhammer (Brian) in St. Louis (mucho kudos)

Brian is MR VW in STL I've known Brian for probably 6 years, ever since I bought my two 96 Passat TDIs in 1999 and 2000. I also have a 01 Jetta TDI he has layed hands on. The guy knows VWs and TDIs in particular like no one else I know of. I already emailed him and told him my green Passat will...
  9. G

G80 Lift Sensor on 96 Passat

Does anyone know if a bad G80 lift sensor (third injector) could cause a very advanced timing indication? I have both, and I am wondering if they are related. The code is: 00542 - Needle lift Sensor (G80) 05-00 - Input Open
  10. G

Yet another flexpipe replacement

If the damn downpipe didn't cost so much REBUILT from VWoA, I'd just replace the whole thing. But they DO want $750 REBUILT for the damn thing, so I'm going to bandaid it yet again. Can someone verify the right pipe size is the 2" diameter one, and I'm going to go with the better version at JC...
  11. G

Fuel temp sensor replacement.

I've done this without the special socket. Bosch service centers have the socket, and I think someone on Fred's once made one, but you can do it without the special socket. Just use a pair of vice grips to remove the bolt the first time, then go find a replacement with a hex head on it. When...
  12. G

Door lock roll pin size?

Passenger front door handle completely crapped out. Removed handle and found roll pin missing. Nowhere in door. Went to hardware store and found a 1/8" pin fits pretty easily, but will probably JB Weld it in place anyway. The next size up, 5/32", might have fit with a bit of coaxing. Does anyone...
  13. G

What's a bad B4 MAF look like on VAGCOM?

Re: What\'s a bad B4 MAF look like on VAGCOM? Thanks, paramedick and Toronto. I had a chance to run that final check on the MAF this weekend. Hooked VAGCOM up for two trips, each about 10-15 minutes, and MAF ACTUAL hit over 800 on several occassions. Sometimes just high 700's, but close. I...
  14. G

What's a bad B4 MAF look like on VAGCOM?

What\'s a bad B4 MAF look like on VAGCOM? One of my Passat's is having an occassional hesitation, mostly at high speed but sometimes from a standstill. Only momentary, and then all is fine. Changed 109 relay with 109 from other car. Not the problem. Thought maybe MAF was going bad, so plugged...
  15. G

96 Passat Timing Problem

Pulled valve cover and crankshaft indicator plug. Pinned pump in place, put camshaft plate in, and checked timing mark on crankshaft. EVERYTHING LINES UP PERFECTLY! Dynamic timing still shows 170-200, so our best guess is when the pump was rebuilt 50K miles ago whoever rebuilt it must have put...