Recent content by G Men 08

1. G Men 08

Potential buyer concerned with engine noise...

Ok, thanks fellas. Kind of thought the same thing! Now the real question, do I REALLY want to sell her? lol.
  2. G Men 08

Potential buyer concerned with engine noise...

2003 Golf, 5spd manual, Frank rebuilt head less than 20k miles ago. At the same time I did the timing belt and turbo. Buddy of mine is considering buying the car and he took it for a drive. Only concern he has is he thinks the engine is abnormally loud. I've never thought so, it is noisy but...
  3. G Men 08

Rough Idle and Loss of 3-5mpg after egr replacement?

Alright, thanks cobra. Changed the oil and rotated the tires for winter, only 27psi. Oops. Bumped them up to 37.
  4. G Men 08

These engines are obviously loud. Looking for a vacuum/intake leak is nearly impossible (by listening). Any advice or tricks on how to find where the potential leak is?
  5. G Men 08

Adjusted the QA today. at warm engine idle it was floating between 1.2 and 1.4 mg/stk. Now it is around 4.5.
  6. G Men 08

Rotate the injector pump pulley, right? I switched the egr duty cycle last night from factory setting of 32xxx to 33xxx. This morning I head out for work and the engine starts fine with no rpm division
  7. G Men 08

Going through with vagcom now. No codes. At idle (903 rpm and holding steadily, warm engine) Maf actual 490-500 mg/st (specified 255) N18 solenoid 4.8%
  8. G Men 08

80 Miles less on this tank of fuel?!! Same driving style and location as always. Any other input? I am not finding anything out of the ordinary, the car drives fine. Which values and blocks should I check VIA vagcom?
  9. G Men 08

usually 11.5-12.5 gallons. Non vented (that I know of) I lost MPG when I put the lift and snow tires on the ole girl:(
  10. G Men 08

There is not a clamp or anything on the vacuum line going to the EGR valve. Maybe the old EGR vacuum fitting had a residue/buildup on it which helped "seal" the connection. Whereas the new one is clean and polished so there isn't a very good seal, when the engine/vacuum line is cold. due to the...
  11. G Men 08

I just verified that the EGR valve diaphragm opens at around 7in vacuum, and progressively opens and holds with more vacuum. All hardware is tight, and I did use new gaskets (paper and metal) for new EGR replacement. Both of the vacuum hoses are installed, one on the ASV, the other for the EGR...
  12. G Men 08

Yes UhOh, when the car has sat for a period of time. I'll have to dig out vag com as well to check the egr valve function. Hopefully I get the time to check it with my mityvac tomorrow.
  13. G Men 08

Vacuum hoses will be checked and verified here shortly. And to clarify, the rough idle is only for the first 30 seconds or so after a cold start up. It never did this until I replaced the EGR valve.
  14. G Men 08

The intake and all components was cleaned, timing belt was done, new turbo, rebuilt head, oil/coolant seals o rings and gaskets all replaced within the last 15k miles. Fuel filter was done maybe 2k miles ago. The old egr valve looked great, other than oily residue. I believe that I ruined the...